"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new 1964 1500D for 31.00 on eBay

Started by WesternElectricBen, October 13, 2013, 10:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on October 20, 2013, 07:43:57 PM
I think the way you are proceeding is fine: get it working, turn the faceplate over, look for some free or cheap beige plastics; the faceplate is the hardest part to find.

That's what I'l do. Though after buying this, a pink 500, a 12 dollar cord for the 500, and a yellow 500 I'm a bit low on money.

I will need to mow some more lawns!!

Ben

LarryInMichigan

I can spare a beige ABS plastic handset from 1966 for the cost of shipping, or a lawn mowing :)

Larry

Contempra

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 20, 2013, 07:58:58 PM
I can spare a beige ABS plastic handset from 1966 for the cost of shipping, or a lawn mowing :)

Larry

Hey Larry !...It is supposed to snow Thursday... then your lawn will be probably white rather than green ;D..depending of the width and length of your land, it will surely be an all white rink

Its a joke  :D

WesternElectricBen

Larry

That might work, could you spare a 64?

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Contempra on October 20, 2013, 08:05:11 PM

Larry

Hey Larry !...It is supposed to snow Thursday... then your lawn will be probably white rather than green ;D..depending of the width and length of your land, it will surely be an all white rink

Its a joke  :D

Uh oh, glad I got the snow blower runnin'

Ben

LarryInMichigan

I don't think that I have a beige G3 from 1964.  I think that the only ones I have in decent condition are from 1966 and 1961.  I can take another look later.

Larry

Jim Stettler

I had a 1965 beige 1500 set. The early housings are noticably thicker than the later housings.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 21, 2013, 12:32:52 PM
I don't think that I have a beige G3 from 1964.  I think that the only ones I have in decent condition are from 1966 and 1961.  I can take another look later.

Larry

Thanks Larry!

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on October 21, 2013, 02:44:53 PM
I had a 1964 beige 1500 set. The early housings are noticably thicker than the later housings.
Jim

Huh, I would have never noticed.

Ben

poplar1

Yes, a beige  November 1964 housing that ain't cracked is ideal---but I guess it's just up to you whether you would rather have a glued 4/65 housing (the one pictured), or *any* undamaged non-modular beige housing (1963-c. 1976). I think I can guess which one Illinois Bell would have preferred.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

I found the housing. it is dated 1965 (and in terrible condition). My set came with the early charcoal grey "back painted" faceplate.

I replaced the original housing with a clear We notched housing. I added a "mouse hole" filler and light gray hardwired handset cord. (to match the '58 clear 500's). The handset is a spare  clear handset that I had.
has a charcoal TT mask.

Jim

As a side note: I have seen the early back painted TT mask that were painted with a texture paint on the front, to make them appear like some of the later plastic dial masks.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

WesternElectricBen

Wow, I'd like a good green 1500d, but not for 135.00!

Ben