News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Possible Kellogg Outdoor Phone Model #4901

Started by PhoneSeeker, March 26, 2014, 07:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoneSeeker

I found a possible Outdoor Kellogg Phone which is missing its cast iron box. Sure could use an expert's opinion as to what this might be. I'm wondering if it might either be the inside parts from a police call box or perhaps a flush mount phone from a theater. I've been looking through  the material on the Telephone Archive website and the closest match I found was a 1941 Model $4901.

What do you think?

rdelius

This is the guts for an outside cast iron kellogg set .Do not know the number.The oldest box is marked Kellogg, the newer box ITT Kellogg. This insert will also fit the Allen Tel aluminum housings -marked telephone on the outside

PhoneSeeker

The Telephone Archive website has an incredible collection of Kellogg reference material. Unfortunately when I was researching this outdoor phone there seems to be a gap in the archives collection which skips from between the years1936 to 1941. The 1936 Kellogg Outdoor phone Model #4883 was equipped with a  #81-A watch case type receiver. The next Kellogg Outdoor phone I was able to find in the Archives" collection was the Model #4901 which has a matching receiver to mine but the transmitter was different. I didn't jot down notes on that transmitter but if I recall correctly it was like western Electric "railroad" style transmitter where the mouth piece was molded as a part of the transmitter instead of being a separate screwed in cup shaped piece. So I was wondering since there was a model number gap from the #4883 to the #4901 if the one I've got is either actually a missing link model or , if because of the recycling of parts know to have happened during the war years, this one is actually a Model $4901 fitted with whatever part was available at the time of manufacture.

If any one might have a Kellogg catalog  from the missing between years could check into this I'd appreciate the input.

At the risk of speaking for the Archive (I'm not connected with them but deeply appreciate their service), I'm sure they  might appreciate a donation of the missing years Kellogg catalogs if anyone  out there might have copies available.   

stub

PhoneSeeker ,
                    I found a dial version of your phone. The bolt pattern matches for both.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

PhoneSeeker

Thank you! That certainly looks like it.

Since there seems to be traces of red paint on your example, I wonder if it was used by a fire department as some kind of a call box. It doesn't have the look of the Gamewell police call boxes. Also the box seems to have more of what I'd think of as a 1941 styling in contrast to the 1920's look of the interior components. Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if this Kellogg product was a re-cycling or a re-adaptation of an earlier Kellogg product like the Flush Mounted Wall Telephone from Automatic Electric from the 1920's era. It certainly shares that the look.

Thank you stub.