"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Converted WE 1515 Project

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 12, 2014, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Christian,

Some time ago I had to disassemble an AUTOVON Card Dialer dial for restoration.  That was quite an adventure.  Now that you are an expert TT dial mechanic, I thought you would empathize with the effort this photo represents!

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dave F on September 25, 2014, 12:55:39 PM
Christian,

Some time ago I had to disassemble an AUTOVON Card Dialer dial for restoration.  That was quite an adventure.  Now that you are an expert TT dial mechanic, I thought you would empathize with the effort this photo represents!

DF
...and I thought my dial was tricky....

You have to have the hand of a surgeon (when my huge hands don't exactly represent) to be able to put those rods into place, and then have them aligned perfectly so nothing is sitting where it shouldn't when the two halves come together. That must be ever worse, because  it has four more buttons!!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

I never got around to uploading an update from last night, so I'll do that now.

The faceplate was clear coated with Rust-Oleum lacquer, and it looks pretty good! The plastics are sitting in Peroxide with UV light right now, getting whiter by the minute!
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Do you dunk the plastics in the peroxide cream or just cover it with wrapping? I'm having issues why the treatment hardly working.

Ben 

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on September 25, 2014, 04:55:53 PM
Do you dunk the plastics in the peroxide cream or just cover it with wrapping? I'm having issues why the treatment hardly working.

Ben 
I put the plastics in a Ziploc bag with the peroxide in it. You could say they're dunked, but still contained inside a plastic bag.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 25, 2014, 05:49:38 PM

Ben 
I put the plastics in a Ziploc bag with the peroxide in it. You could say they're dunked, but still contained inside a plastic bag.

That's what I've been doing, I'm going to have to try a UV lamp, instead of relying on the sun.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on September 25, 2014, 06:01:29 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 25, 2014, 05:49:38 PM

Ben 

That's what I've been doing, I'm going to have to try a UV lamp, instead of relying on the sun.

Ben
My dad and I constructed a wooden UV box. It has sheetmetal lined on the inside with a UV light on each side. It really seems to work well, especially when I want to de-fade something at night or when it's raining/snowing.
Christian Petterson