News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type 95

Started by Halligan142, April 15, 2015, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halligan142

So I bought an Automatic Electric Type 95 Panel mount phone.  It's actually currently being shipped, but I honestly don't know much about it.  I did some research and the only thing I could find on the phone is an old tech bulletin from 1970. 

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_download/4516-gsp-473-404-100-i2-nov70-ae95-telephone-panel-description

I got it because it will match some other items going into a room in my house.  Oh and I plan on using it.  I'm new to this so I have a couple of questions.

I know I'll need a pulse to tone converter and to that end I'm thinking of going with this unless someone knows of something better.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html

It looks like it once had a metal shell that was mounted in the wall to which this panel screwed to.  I'm not worried about that, but it's also missing the ringer which the tech bulletin says can be either a type 45 or 46.  Can I use any old ringer or does it need to be those specific ones?  Also will the ringer be able to function on a modern phone system?

Any info anyone has on these phones will be greatly appreciated.  Oh and I have no idea why there's a watch dial on the dialer. 

G-Man

You should be able to use other standard ringers as long as they will mechanically fit and are either straight-line or 20-cycle ringers.I was unable to find an Automatic Electric Technical Bulletin but was able to download the General System Practice from the link you provided. It appears to be very detailed and thorough so I don't know what additional information you would be seeking.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Halligan142 on April 15, 2015, 05:20:49 PM
So I bought an Automatic Electric Type 95 Panel mount phone.

I got it because it will match some other items going into a room in my house.  Oh and I plan on using it.  I'm new to this so I have a couple of questions.
Welcome to the forum, Halligan142!
I know I'll need a pulse to tone converter and to that end I'm thinking of going with this unless someone knows of something better.
The need for a pulse to tone convertor depends upon what you have for telephone service, and what you wish or intend to do with your phone.
Also will the ringer be able to function on a modern phone system?
It depends on what you define as 'modern'... Do you have a landline (POTS phone), or is your telephone line VOIP, ie.; over the internet, or cable provider's equipment. More information from you will help us all find an answer to assist you.

QuoteOh and I have no idea why there's a watch dial on the dialer.
Call Timer, maybe?? ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Halligan142

QuoteIt appears to be very detailed and thorough so I don't know what additional information you would be seeking.

More or less besides the technical questions I had I just wanted to know if these are actually still around or common.  After doing some searching I couldn't even find a picture except of the one I bought. 

QuoteThe need for a pulse to tone convertor depends upon what you have for telephone service, and what you wish or intend to do with your phone.

I have my phone service through my cable/internet provider.  Comcast/Xfinity Voice  to be exact.  I have a modem which plugs into one of my phone jacks which then allows me to connect my phones through the other jacks in my house.  I wish this to be a fully functioning phone so from what I've read I'm pretty sure I need a pulse converter, but also from what I've read is that some pulse converters may not work with specific providers and you may or may not be able to make the ringer functional.  Just wondering if all that is true or not. 

stub

Halligan142,
                 Welcome to the CRPF. You have a nice phone on the way and we all will be glad to help you any way we can.
                 I have one in Touch call and rotary also , the copper colored ones look nice too.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jsowers

Here are some pictures from an AE panel phone that I got years ago. It came with the mounting box and a straight line ringer just like one from an AE80, so I thought you'd like to see what to look for. You don't often see the boxes. They were often left in the wall.

They did come in copper finish and brushed aluminum and the inserts were changeable to match the decor. I've seen white, blue and yellow handsets, but I don't recall seeing a black handset on one before.

I also included another shot from an NOS AE panel that came with all its inserts. Good luck with your restoration.
Jonathan

Halligan142

*UPDATE*

Thanks for all the replies and info.  I'm sure by those pictures I can fab up an enclosure.  I Managed to get a ringer out of the newest and ugliest phone I could find.  A rather ugly pink AE 80.  Wired up the ringer and got it to ring no problem with my Comcast Arris TM822.  I also found out why there was a watch dial on the dialer.  It was hiding a nasty crack.  The crack is only in the center and doesn't extend to the finger holes so I may just fab up a piece of aluminum and replicate the brushed look and stick it on there.  Now I just need a Pulse-to-tone converter and I'll be good to go. 

AE_Collector

The 80E is in "Sand Beige", not Pink.

When AE reformulated their Ivory colour a little lighter in the 70's they renamed it "Antique White". I worked with a guy who renamed "Sand Beige" to "Antique Pink" at the same time!

You can move the finger wheel as well. You need to remove the "spider" that holds the broken FW and use the screw to attach the FW from the 80E.

Terry

Halligan142

Fabricated an enclosure and got the phone mounted in the wall and working. 

HarrySmith

Cool! Nice work! Wouldn't it be easier to use mounted vertically?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Halligan142

It is.  The pictures got rotated when I loaded them apparently, but just the thumbnails.  Click on the picture and it displays ok. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 26, 2015, 05:25:11 PM
Cool! Nice work! Wouldn't it be easier to use mounted vertically?

Harry the "Straight Man"!

Makes the AE dial and fingerstop a little more like WECo!

Terry

stub

Halligan142,
                    Great work , looks great!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield