News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Prewar BAGTA 24000 from Latvia

Started by Matilo Telephones, June 25, 2016, 10:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

This may look like one of these soviet telephones to some of you, but it is not.

I had been looking out for one of those BAGTA's for a while and this one appeared on German ebay, and was located not too far from me (which saves shipping costs). It had good pics, seemed to be in great condition and starting bid was not too high, with little time left on the ad and no bids.

So I snapped it up and here it is.

What struck me in these pictures was the old style dail and the diagram in alphabet instead of cyrillic writing.

After showing this to a Latvian collector and reading up on this model on Latvian website (via google stranslate) it appears to be a prewar BAGTA 24000 and not a BAGTA 49 or 50.
It is made very well and the parts are of very good quality and seems to be totally different from the Soviet verions in that respect.

Also this telephone is very similar to the Ericsson 1931 telephone (DBH1001).
It is also in very good condition and mostly original with parts from the pre-soviet era.

Small crack in the retainer ring of the transmitter cap. I am trying to find a replacement, but I think I can repair it.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

andre_janew

It has a rather unusual dial configuration.  I've never seen anything like it!

Matilo Telephones

Well there are others with this kind of number distribution.

There is of course this BTMC dial, see picture. You can see the need for this. Otherwise the number card cap would be at an awkward angle.

There is also a TEFAG (Germany) dial with the same number lay out. It suppose was done so the 1 and 0 line up horizontally. It gives a nice symmetrical effect.
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

This type of dial configuration was actually not so unusual.

It was the original arrangement of the first dial that was the grandparent of most of the later dials from BTMC and many other companies in Europe.

The original dial of this line was the No. 7000 dial designed by WESTERN ELECTRIC for the rotary system. When Western Electric decided against the use of the Rotary system in the US, the system development continued in Europe at International Western Electric, and BTMC inherited the design.  The next one up was the 7001 shown below, and the 7002 also shown.

rdelius

I bought a similar set off Ebay for $30.00 except model 3600010.Has a hole in the front for a missing push button.Rather rough.bakelite smoother than Soviet sets.No Cyrillac on this set,
VEF Riga on capacitor.might have to get a Soviet handset for missing parts on transmitter end

Kenton K

I've always wondered what those dials felt like. They look awkward to dial with. I guess i'm just used to WE dials.

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: rdelius on July 09, 2016, 02:55:08 PM
I bought a similar set off Ebay for $30.00 except model 3600010.Has a hole in the front for a missing push button.Rather rough.bakelite smoother than Soviet sets.No Cyrillac on this set,
VEF Riga on capacitor.might have to get a Soviet handset for missing parts on transmitter end

Intersting. Do you have a picture of the diagram, perhaps? Any other markings on it?
Groeten,

Arwin

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: Kenton K on July 09, 2016, 03:45:15 PM
I've always wondered what those dials felt like. They look awkward to dial with. I guess i'm just used to WE dials.

Personally I do not think the difference is not that great. Others may experience that differently. Although the fingerstop at about 4 or 5 o'clock is the most comfortable, I think.
Groeten,

Arwin

rdelius

only markings are the VEF trademark on parts.Diagram is not readible because of rust,Will try to clean and scan.I wonder if set was wartime because almost all screws and other small parts are steel.If I find any hidden markings, I will post the information.If a soviet transmitter ring and mouthpiece will not fit,I might have to replace the handset.

Matilo Telephones

Well, that was what I was wondering. I talked to a Latvian collector, who is also a volunteer at the VEF museum. He said that there was some war time production, but these are very very rare. He has seen one with another collector stamped with the German eagle and swastika.

Anyway, there was also some production between 45 and 49 (when the BAGTA 49 came out). Perhaps yours is from that period.
Groeten,

Arwin