News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray cords: Straight vs. coiled

Started by benhutcherson, December 11, 2009, 01:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

As we all know, the early gray handset cords could be had in either straight or coiled configurations.

Obviously, any gray cord is especially desirable. I'm curious, though, as to which is more rare and which is, in general, more desirable.

Personally, I prefer the straight cords, just because they're so unusual on 500 sets, however I realize that probably not everyone else shares in this preference.

JimH

I prefer the straight cords because they're much rarer.  A set on ebay, especially colored, usually goes for a hundred more if it's got a straight cord. 
Jim H.

Dan

I don't have any  grey straight, which I prefer too. I feel the straight are more rare because they were earlier . My curly greys are on my 1957's.

Even more rare and desirable to me are the straight coloured, like an ivory from 1954 or so or a rose beige.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

looks like JimH and I were channeling thoughts
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

benhutcherson

Thanks for the responses-I don't suppose I realized that straight cords were all that much more rare.

I suppose then that that makes this find even more lucky

Dennis Markham

Ben, that is a great looking phone.  That was a Non-eBay find?  I have a red one with gray straight cords that I picked up a couple of years ago, from eBay and over $150 for it...in very dirty condition.  Of course prices have dropped a bit but still that phone is enhanced due to the straight gray cord, as Jim said, I think it adds $100 to the value.

benhutcherson

Dennis,

Yes, that was a local find, or at least relatively local(Louisville). It was all of $35.

Dennis Markham

Great Ben!  I think that is the fun part of collecting--anything.  Finding something that you know is valuable and getting it for a very reasonable price.  Once again that proves that they are still out there---those nice old phones.  We talk about John S in the Chicago having some good finds.  I think you do well where you are too.  I like the CYpress dial card on that phone.  What is the date of that phone?  I'm guessing 1955 or 1956?

JimH

That is a great find!  I recently bought a Mahogany Brown 500 from 1954 and it has a straight brown handset cord....all for the buy it now price of $50.  When I get to cleaning it, I'll post pictures.
Jim H.

benhutcherson

Dennis,

Everything is 1/55 or 2/55, with the exception of the handset, which is 12/54.  

Most of my telephones are local purchases. I've been at this a while now(nearly 6 years) and I can say that it definitely requires a lot of patience to find telephones that way. I have about 20 different antique stores and flea markets that I visit regularly, and most of the time come away completely empty handed-I just happen to get lucky every once in a while. I've managed to pick up some great bargains, though, too.

Overall, I definitely prefer buying locally. It's a lot more hit or miss, but it also is much more rewarding when you do make a good find.

Jim,

I think your $50 Mahogany sounds like an even better find than mind. Please do post photos when you get it cleaned up.

Dennis Markham

Jim, that is a great buy!  Christmas came early for you two guys.

Ben,  January of 1955, with a dated part from 12/1954 is really an early date for that phone.  Excellent find there.  Congrats to both of you guys.

I remember (and I've told the story before) how my heart was pounding when I paid the seller $35 for  Mediterranean Blue 500 at an antique fair.  I practically ran out of there before he changed his price!

Dennis Markham

After that posting I checked with Paul F's site again.  I guess red was introduced in 1953 but those had the black handsets and dial bezel.   I thought it was mid to late 1954 that the full colored sets came out, so there are some earlier ones out there.  But again, nice grab on that one.

Dan

benhutcherson

Jester

I'm glad you started this thread, Ben.  I won a red 500 with straight cords this past weekend on ebay and recalled that someone on the forum had found one recently for a great price, but didn't remember who had it.  Mine arrived yesterday, and I have to say I'm very happy to have it, but I wish I could have found one for 35.00.  When you made your original posting on this one, I remember you saying that you almost walked away from it because of the price.  It sounds like you've made your peace with the decision to buy it.
Stephen