News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chinese set

Started by rdelius, July 06, 2018, 07:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Bought  this on Ebay several years ago Had many issues Broken main spring on dial,missing ringer capacitor,rusty bad rec capsule,Japanese 1930s transmitter capsule.Broken handset caps.and a bad handset cord.I replaced the defective parts with Belgium parts.Some might call it a frankinphone but sometimes you have to substitute .Card ob dial was on the set.These BTM/Standard sets got around.The ringer was still connected by twisting the wires together in place of the missing capacitor

AL_as_needed

Was that phone made mainly of non-chinese parts (say from Japan)? Or was it just cobbled together from older imported phones?
TWinbrook7

rdelius

Most likely all Chinese except the transmitter.I think there was a ITT/Standard factory in Shanghai that was nationalised after the 1949 revolution. .Repaired it with  Belgium parts because I could get them .The Chinese could copies very well .Have some military radios that if the markings were removed,you night  not know it  was a copy.I have a later made telephone set that looks the same on the outside but redisigned inside

RB

If it is Chinese, it is a copy of something.
Not surprised you found similar parts for the rebuild.
Nice job.
Most of my phones are Frankied together.
It is more important to me that they work. ;)

dsk

Looks pretty equal to my Antwerp phone:

dsk