News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Introducing 'Laurent' (Bakelite. French, 1941)

Started by FABphones, September 18, 2018, 06:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

So pleased. I don't know where to begin telling you about this one. I've checked out CRPF and no-one has mentioned these so I think I'm showing you a 'first'.  :D

I had been looking for a while for this model of phone, called 'Laurent'. I already had Magneto versions but wanted the rotary version with the French (similar) version of an E1 handset.

This week I found not one but two. As I've been searching and researching for quite some months, and because they can be hard to find, I bought both.

The one I am showing you here is as it arrived straight out of the box so not yet cleaned up. It needs the correct cords but other than that it is in pretty good condition and has no damage. The seller also enclosed a second handset, which was a nice surprise and very kind.

Sooo... about the the Laurent... Only made in Black (Bakelite) in Paris, France by Jacquesson, it is very similar to the U43, but check out the curved shape to cradle area (front to rear). Also the curved back. Re the style of handset - from what I can find out, only the rotary versions of Laurent have this style. All the Magneto versions have the same handset as that on the U43. I have no more details why the handsets were done that way, but I have never seen them vice-versa.

Laurent was produced in 1941 and made only for a couple of years. The powers that be then decided to go with the U43 model instead and Laurent was discontinued. During that time Jacquesson made in the region of 38,000 - 50,000.

Details on these phones isn't easy too to find, not much info out there. I'm still researching.

Nearly forgot to tell you - it amazingly only cost me about $10 (with the free handset) !!!!!  :)

Photos below:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Very interesting looking phone, Congrats on your find. The dial appears to be an AE or a copy from the looks of the fingerwheel. Have you opened it up yet?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Thanks Harry.  :)

I've not had a chance to take a closer look at either of them. Other stuff is taking my time up for the rest of today, but am attaching a photo of the second phone I bought for dial comparison.

As is usual when they need attention, the dials on many phones were swapped out for the later version (see pic below) so I was pleased to get that one. I have a box with about 50 of those later plastic fingerwheel dials, so I always try to buy the other, nicer, version of dial whenever possible.

(ETA: Am rushing to do this, image is a .png, hope that's ok)

ma_xyz

That's a very interesting find.

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 18, 2018, 06:52:49 AM
The dial appears to be an AE or a copy from the looks of the fingerwheel.
I only have one AE dial to compare but the one I have (on a North Galion "Copy") is identical to the french dials I have.
On an older Dial from a PTT1924 the fingerwheel is also identical, on a later on a U43 the plastic wheel mentioned by Fabphones is mounted, but mechanics are identical. One difference is that on the french dials the terminals are soldered, whereas on the AE the terminals are with screws.
I assume that the Dial Design was licensed from AE by French manufacturers or PTT itself? Would be interesting to know more.

FABphones

Quote from: ma_xyz on September 18, 2018, 04:08:05 PM
....I assume that the Dial Design was licensed from AE by French manufacturers or PTT itself? Would be interesting to know more.

This is my understanding of some of the history (I've translated this from French so some of the terminology may differ):

Dial originally developed by Strowger in 1896, its development was performed by Automatic Electric.

The first dials on the Laurent (as opposed to the later replacements) were those directly inherited from the PTT24.

Re the change in dials: On early dial versions the dial was entirely metallic, including the fingerplate (the 'Mobile Disc'). Eventually the painted metal disc became plexiglass - the number disc was originally enamel, then painted metal/painted aluminium and finally silkscreened plastic. Metal dials were subsequently replaced by the plastic dial.

The handset was designed by Bell/Western Electric (I've read that in France it is called the E4 but I'm not so sure - I need to verify that) and was introduced in France before it was used in the USA.

tubaman

That was a bargain at only €10!
I have one but paid rather more than that for it (about £50 if I remember rightly).
Mine has also lost its name plate on the base so it's good to see what should be there.
Like you I try to find French phones with their original metal dials, but it's not easy as most have been replaced.
:)

FABphones

You did good.

Metal dials as spares are hard to find. I have just one spare and two phones to choose from to put it on. Dilemma.

In euros this one of mine cost about 8.50€ ish. It does need cords though. The only straight fabric cord I can find might be a tad stiff (although actually most of them are in my experience) but would look better, plaited cord just won't look right. Another dilemma!

If anyone knows of any UK sellers of cords that would be helpful. All those I know of only sell straight fabric cord as an already made up line cord. Ideally, I need to buy it direct and make up my own cords - I have quite a few phones nowadays......  ;D

Today I'll be setting aside some undisturbed time and taking a closer look at both of them.  :)

FABphones

Oh boy. Well I wasn't expecting to find this when I opened up Mr B Laurent. Although I should know better by now.  ::)

At least the person who did this also drew out a schematic for it. I'm going to need a search through my box of U43 odds and ends and see what I have to put this right.

Does anyone have any idea what has gone on here, or why?

Photos. Inside, and wiring diagrams -
(Laurent B is the metal fingerwheel dial that has had the 'modification'. Laurent A is the second, plastic fingerwheel Laurent, for comparison):

ma_xyz

looks "internesting" :-)

this seems to be a setup using a local battery?

perhaps has been used on some intercom or similar ...

FABphones

Updated photos, Laurent A:

Same dial, but with a replacement enamel alpha/numeric plate. From spares box.
Replacement ecouter (listener) to rear and cradle (both were missing). From spares box.
Polished.

Need better lighting for photos but 'super shiny and beyond' is in progress...   8)

ETA: Photo 3 has been bugging me, grubby. Went to the phone to take a look, nothing on it. Then I realised I turned the phone towards the window to get the light. It is a reflection of the fauna outside.

Note to self: Sort out some lighting for photos.  ;D

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Agree....outstanding CJ.....nice work.    I have a Stanley Patterson handset that is similar to your E4. I put in on my multi button phone and am pleased with it until I can  find the real deal.....Doug
Kidphone