News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Holtzer Cabot ringer box

Started by wds, May 29, 2011, 09:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Bought this ringer box a while back because it was cute.  Didn't need it, but it looked like it needed a good home.  I've been working on it for a while, cleaning, sanding, polishing, and here's the finished ringer.  The Oak was as hard as a rock and didn't want to sand very well, but I kept at it and now I think it's worthy of a shelf in the phone room.
Dave

paul-f

Nice work Dave!

Add a mag handle and test leads and you're ready to seriously test some continuity!

What does the metal tag on the box say?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wds

Quote from: paul-f on May 29, 2011, 09:26:25 PM
Nice work Dave!

Add a mag handle and test leads and you're ready to seriously test some continuity!

What does the metal tag on the box say?

I'm going to try and find an end for the handle, but in the mean time I have another one - but it just doesn't look as nice.  
Dave

wds

I meant to ask this question earlier, but got sidetracked and forgot.  Kind of a trick question, but does anyone know who made one of the first electric cars in America and when?  No googling allowed!
Dave

Ed D

Wow, the first electric car?  Is this a trick question?  (OK, you said it was...)

Do you mean the Chevy Volt?  I think it went up for sale late 2010.  Or do you mean who made the very first electric car in the USA?  There were some back in the late 1890s or so, but I don't think they ever hit the market for use as a personal vehicle.

Adam

Well... without looking it up, I agree with Ed, as far as I recall, an automobile with an electric motor pre-dates cars with internal combustion engines.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

wds

Holtzer-Cabot, 1891 made for two people.  The last one H-C made was built for 8 in 1893.  Steam and internal combustion engines were already in use for cars at that time.  Wonder how many of those 1.5 volt telephone batteries it took to power that car.
Dave

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on June 05, 2011, 08:25:35 AM
Wonder how many of those 1.5 volt telephone batteries it took to power that car.

Oh I'm sure they would have used the 45 volt "Breakdown Box" batteries in their car! Although if you've ever opened one of them up they are made up of a whole bunch (30 I guess) of 1.5 volt batteries in series.

Terry