News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Proud of my AE50

Started by Telephone Mike, May 21, 2012, 11:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephone Mike

When I found this phone, it was covered with dirt and mud, full of bugs and spider webs, the dial was stuck and it was just a general scratched up mess.  I hate to (love to) brag, but after many months of cleaning, polishing, fixing, gathering parts and then doing it all over again, I finally completed the restoration of this beautiful AE50. After much diligent searching, I came up with the hard to find chrome package, especially the chrome banded spit cup.  Don't know if it was ever on the original phone but sure looks sweet.  It talks and hears like a new phone, the dial is smooth and after cleaning and  adjusting, hasn't failed and I love the ring of these old phones.  It's listed on Ebay and although I hate to part with it,  I'm going on a fishing trip and hopefully this phone will help pay for it.

LarryInMichigan

The phone looks great, and I believe that the handset is quite rare.  I don't actually recall ever seeing one like it before.

Larry

stub

Telephone Mike ,
                        Sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jsowers

My grandmother, who lived next door, had an AE50 with a spitcup handset like that, but without the chrome trim or chrome fingerwheel. So yes, those handsets did come on those phones. I wish I had that phone now!

Great phone. Mike. Good luck getting that fishing trip. Granny liked to fish too!
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

Mike,

Where on ebay is it?  I cannot find it with a search.

Larry

Telephone Mike

Larry,

Type this item number - 290715891977 - in the Ebay search bar and it should come up.

Mike

Doug Rose

It sure is a beauty. I have never seen a spitcup on that model AE handset either?...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290715891977
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I expect that the handset is going to drive the price really high.

Larry

Doug Rose

Where is the AE Collector and Moderator of the AE  ::) phone find of the month to comment on this cool handset Hasn't an AE phone won everytime this year ???

This could be another AE  ;D Find of the month. Right Terry???

All kidding aside....this handset is amazing and as Larry said, sure makes the phone. It is already over what I thought it would go for....great phone....Doug
Kidphone

Telephone Mike

Thanks for all the kind words guys.  I really have put a lot of time into this phone and do hate to see it go but am working on a 40 now with my eyes on another 50.  Keeps me out of trouble.

Mike

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 22, 2012, 12:56:15 PM
This could be another AE  ;D Find of the month. Right Terry???

Great idea Doug! "The AE Find of the Month!" I'll ask Dennis to set up a new board ASAP.

I'll have to ask the R&D Department (Stub) to invstigate his AE catalog's further and report back. I have seen the Type 41 handset with that spitcup transmitter cap occasionally but it is pretty rare. I was going to say that I don't have one but now I am starting to think that maybe I did get a beat up handset with that cap on it several years ago and never got around to putting it onto a display phone. I'll have to investigate further.

As Stub mentioned, it was available on late model AE 34's (is there a picture of a 34 with this handset in a catalog Stub?) so if that is correct it would appear that it is potentially the first version of the Type 41 handset.

Terry

stub

The handset was made for the 34A3B .  Pics are from a photocopy of AE 4055 C  1940 catalog, pg. 48 , 16 , and 55.
The manual set on pg. 16 shows just a little bit of the spitcup. The parts list ( not shown )on pg. 48 , list it as a  Type 41 handset  AF-55.  In the AE 4055 A Catalog  1937 the only handsets there are Type 38, so I guess it is the 1st 41.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Ken/Terry....very impressive indeed....you can teach an old doug a new trick  ???
Kidphone

stub

Doug Rose ,
                  Sorry for the washed out photos but ink was low that day.

Telephone Mike ,
                         Can you post us some more photos of the spitcup at diffrent angles before you get it sold ?  Thanks,   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Telephone Mike

Here you go.