News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 after a little polish

Started by BDM, March 01, 2009, 01:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

The gold bands on the gold banded AE40s are actual gold plating, correct?

Just asking.

Dennis Markham

I think so Hobie, but don't hold me to it. 

NYFED

Dennis/Hobie-
                      I read another collector had written that '...no AEs had brass (gold) rings' but that they were offered in nickel (chrome) and black (unpolished brass).  Not sure if that's true but I will let you know as I continue my mental illness also known as OCD (Obsessive Collecting Disorder). I am up to 44 phones- all EBAY purchases.

-NYFed

JorgeAmely

An example of two AE40s in color.

The green sold on ebay for $2000+ eight to then months ago.

Both have gold bands in 24k satin finish gold (not shiny), the other option was chrome. Brass was never offered. If you see a phone with shiny brass bands is because someone removed the black paint finish and polished the brass.

Jorge

NYFED

PHENOMENAL phones, Jorge. I am rather embarassed to admit: I have phone envy! Thanks for the information.

JorgeAmely

NYFED:

I wish I owned the green phone. These are photos I kept from the ebay seller who kindly send me a bunch after I requested them. The ivory phone is a fixer-upper and I keep it in my office ... under a little umbrella to protect it from sunlight .... surrounded by an electric fence ... just kidding!  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Jorge, that Ivory AE40 is outstanding!  I'd have an armed guard stationed there too!

McHeath

QuoteNot sure if that's true but I will let you know as I continue my mental illness also known as OCD (Obsessive Collecting Disorder). I am up to 44 phones- all EBAY purchases.

Sadly there is no known cure for Phonism Collecticus Rampantus, other than limited funds.  But even that can be worked around!

JorgeAmely

NYFED:

Try contacting your local chapter of eBay Anonymous.  ;D ;D ;D  I am sure they can help you. 
Jorge

NYFED

I don't have kids so I figure I have to contribute to the economy somehow. LOL! I figure all the phones I have bought on Ebay (and there have been well over $1500 worth) have just added to someone else's ability to buy something- or more realistically, pay some bills! But, unlike all the crap manufactured these days, they won't make more!  :'(

Phonesrfun

Quote from: NYFED on July 10, 2009, 03:11:26 PM
....... But, unlike all the crap manufactured these days, they won't make more!  :'(

But the question may be.... Will today's crap be tomorrow's collectibles?  I certainly hope not!

-Bill
-Bill G

NYFED

Bill, et al-
            Here's a true example of why what you asked is a definite 'no':
In 1990, (not that long ago) I was a young private in the Army. I needed and bought an iron.  It was a Black and Decker, not the lowest end but not the highest end model they sold.  I remember noticing it was made in the USA.  I have been using it (and continue to) ever since.  I recently bought a new iron to keep at my house where I work. I bought a Black and Decker; an equivalent model.  It was anything but! It was more than I paid in 1990 (not a problem-inflation) and lasted all of about a month. I returned it and got another- could be a dud. Happens all the time. This new one lasted almost 2 months.  I got my money back and made a conscious note that both were Made in China.  Not a slam on the Chinese but their quality is somewhere between nonexistant and lacking at the extreme.  So, Bill, to answer your question: I think today's crap will become tomorrow's landfill content.

Phonesrfun

That's why I like my 1960's GE iron.  Not that I iron my clothes all that much, but it does still do the job.

-Bill
-Bill G

HobieSport

When I went to buy appliances recently for my kitchen I got all U.S. vintage 50s and 60s chrome and stainless steel items from Ebay; blender, toaster, pots and pans, broiler/rotisserie, etc..

Comparing prices of new Chinese stuff, even including the Ebay shipping, I got it all for about 2/3rds of the new price, plus it all still looks new and is built to last another 50 years.
-Matt