News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 marked S-XX-XX is Indigo Black Color?

Started by Gilas, October 07, 2012, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I recently found a 302 and when I started getting into it found that all the interior parts including the dial are all marked with a "S".  I spoke with Dennis and he stated that it possibly meant that it was made in Shreveport.  I found several posts and photos with the "I" designation so figured I would throw in a couple with the "S"

Gilas

As I posted on a separate post I got a 302 today that was marked as S-XX-XX showing I was told that it was Shreveport.  As I was cleaning it I noticed that it is a beautiful indigo when held to the sun.  Thinking that it was just the fact that I live in the Pacific NW and rarely see the sun while I happen to be cleaning one I grabbed several other ones around the house and checked.  None of them have this same effect.  I checked various years from 40's thru the 50's and nada.  Anyone know more about this?  I included pictures of the Indigo and the regular black ones held to the sunlight.  Last 2 are the reg black ones

Gilas

Only other odd thing about the phone is that it appears to have flecks in the plastic.  I thought that it was maybe some spray that had gotten all over the phone, they almost appear goldish, however I can sand them over and over and they remain.  I took pictures of them and will include them.  BTW the piece that holds the plungers up, forget the name if it has one, also has this spotted fleck thing even though the part is inside and not able to be sprayed easily.  The underside of it not the handheld part.  Make sense? lol

paul-f

Quote from: Gilas on October 07, 2012, 01:46:48 PM
I spoke with Dennis and he stated that it possibly meant that it was made in Shreveport. 

That would have been a good trick, as WE didn't occupy the Shreveport plant until 1967.

http://www.paul-f.com/Doc/WEN_Feb68_ShreveportIntro.jpg

http://www.paul-f.com/Doc/WEdirectory1967.pdf

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Gilas

Ok then I'm lost on what it could stand for.  Any suggestions?  I listed in a separate post that the phone shows an indigo color. Does that have anything to do with
The S?

Dennis Markham

So much for that theory.  Sorry for the misinformation.

HowardPgh

That color reminds me of the really dark amethyst glass.  Maybe that effect comes from not enough black in the plastic, or better yet it might not be the same plastic that the 302s are normally made of.  Does it feel or smell different than the other phone shells?-Howard
Howard

JorgeAmely

Made on a Sunday, special shift to meet demand?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge

Doug Rose

I had heard rumors of a set like this. Allegedly an old timer saw one of these at a flea market, took out his knife and sliced a piece off the bottom to reveal the purplish blue color. I though it was a tall tale. Looks like the real deal.

What does the set look like with out light on it. Is is the same black color. I'd try buffing this baby to see if you can get it to have the purple hue to it.....Doug
Kidphone

Gilas

It does look like a different black for sure. The flecks still remain as well no matter how much you polish or sand. The black is hard to explain, the only thing I could relate it to is a dark dark liquid purple. If I get off early enough I will try and get some side by side pictures

Doug Rose

Hang on t this phone, it is a keeper....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I have noticed black plastic items that are the same sort of Indigo color when the light hits them a certain way. The one thing that comes to mind was the handsets that came with Protel Payphones. As compared to other black handsets they looked a little bit translucent and had the slight purple hue to them. I often wondered if it was not enough black in them to make them really black or if it was some other factor.

I put these two threads together as they are both about the same phone and the coding and color characteristics could likely be realted to one another.

Terry

HowardPgh

Don't try to get the flecks out.
Maybe S=Starry, as in a Moonless starry night. Howard
Howard

rdelius

I have one that the shell looks blue when held up to light

Gilas

Yeah Doug think I might keep it for now. I paid $28 with free shipping for it and had planned on just fixing it up quick. But I'd like to find out more about the S stamping and odd color etc first