and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My interesting find

Started by bingster, March 27, 2009, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

- Tom

bingster

Not for a long, long time.  I'm sure there must still be people like that out there, though.  They'd be the perfect people to do something like this.  Not only are they experts at airbrushing, but they'd be able to mix paints for the perfect match, and since they deal with automotive paint, they'd know a thing or two about making it durable, which is critical.  Great idea, Dan.

In other news, the finish was dulled or etched or whatever to such a great extent that polishing is beginning to expose the metal flake within the paint.  So I think the only safe thing left is a clearcoat of some sort.  I'm not sure I like that idea because it alters the originality, but on the other hand, the black paint already took care of that, so why not?  Thoughts on this?
= DARRIN =

BDM

Bing, it may need a full resto. That's if perfection is on your mind. Then, you need to seek out a pic of a nice example, and find someone who's capable of doing it. Nice thing is, it's not a reproduction so to say. You're just bringing it back. Wonder how many more of these are floating around. It's obvious, and has been noted in the past, that Ma Bell recycled these sets back to classic black.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AET

Funny you mention Airbushing, to go off on a completely unrelated subject, I'm looking for someone to do all the Di-Noc vinyl woodgrain on my station wagon in airbrushing so that I can take off all the vinyl and just clean and polish it like the rest of the car with less sun fading. 

It's kinda funny to think about how many times some of these phones may have been recycled.  If some of them could talk, not just be talked into.....
- Tom

McHeath

QuoteWhen was the last time you saw one of those?

Saw one Saturday on the Freeway on the way up to Oakdale.  It was a blonde chick in hot pants with some sort of mountain scene behind her, did a double take because it's been a long time since I'd seen anything like that painted on a van.  All it needed was a plexiglas porthole window and shag walls with mag rims. 

Of course I once owned a lime green VW camper van with green/yellow/orange plaid seat covers and an orange/brown stripe down the side. 

But no blonde chick on the side in hot pants.  And how come you never saw blonde dudes in hot pants on the side of those vans??

AET

My neighbor had a van with a porthole window on the side and a bed in the back with a mirror on the ceiling.  He scared me, older guy in his 50's.  We called him Creepy Van Guy.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

You gotta watch out for those older guys in their 50's.........Grrrrrrrrrrr :)

AET

Well, it wasn't his age that threw me, it was the fact that he had a bed with a mirror above it, IN HIS VAN.  And also, he had been in trouble with the law for having what I call the Jungle Gym Fever.
- Tom

Steve

how come you never saw blonde dudes in hot pants on the side of those vans??

:0
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 31, 2009, 11:04:51 PM
Well, it wasn't his age that threw me, it was the fact that he had a bed with a mirror above it, IN HIS VAN.  And also, he had been in trouble with the law for having what I call the Jungle Gym Fever.

Vans were very popular in the day when us old geezers used to be on the prowel., and many had bumper stickers that said; "If this van is rocking, don't come a knocking "
It was also a big thing if you owned a van many fathers would not let their daughters go out with you..

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

My first car was a 1969 Rambler, and old Ramblers had the notorious fold down seats that turn into a bed. I had to show my high school sweetheart's dad that it was only the 1965 and older ones that folded, not my car!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

My rear two rows of seats fold down in my Caprice wagon ;) my friends call it the shaggin wagon. 

- Tom

Ellen

My first "car" was a '70 Ford pickup with farm plates.  I didn't dare try to get it inspected!  Boy did I look cool with my Dad's fedora and my aviator shades, driving the back roads of New Hamster.  Ah, mis-spent youth.

AET

A 70 Ford Pickup and a Fedora AND aviators.  Sounds about how I do things!  I occasionally sport the fedora, but more commonly a cowboy hat LOL.  I bet you had everyones attention!!
- Tom