News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

So now I have 2 Leich 901's on the way...

Started by Claven2, May 31, 2013, 06:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claven2

Quote from: stub on June 04, 2013, 07:10:32 AM
Claven2,
             Here's the bias spring.  stub

That doesn't look like a coil spring, or is the spring attached to the other end of that wire arm?

poplar1

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 03, 2013, 11:54:15 PM
Could it be a spring off of the pawl on a dial? No idea what it would be doing inside a Maneto 901 set though. Is it attached to a string? What is that Hole in the metal base (?) with a hole filler plug in it? That may be a clue to something.

Terry

If this phone is convertible wall/desk, then perhaps the hole is for the wires going to the battery box and to the line. North and SC wall phones both have a similar hole.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Claven2,
             The spring is straight and holds the hammer to one side of the bells to keep them from dinging when you dial from another rotary phone. Larry mentioned about a bias spring and I was showing what my 901 had. I still don't know what your spring is for .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

Since it is tied with string in there I would imagine it is for something not in this phone. Maybe it holds the dial bracket back when installed? I seem to remember something on the bracket in the 1 Leich I restored a while back.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Claven2

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 04, 2013, 08:56:39 AM
Since it is tied with string in there I would imagine it is for something not in this phone. Maybe it holds the dial bracket back when installed? I seem to remember something on the bracket in the 1 Leich I restored a while back.

That sounds like a good guess.  When the dial conversion kit arrives, I'll see if there is an obvious place to install it.  I have a second 901 inbound with the dial bracket already installed so maybe it will be indicative.

I honestly can't fathom how it would be used in the current local batery magneto configuration.

Cool phone though - suprised they are not more pupolar. 

Claven2

Quote from: poplar1 on June 04, 2013, 08:22:07 AM
Quote from: AE_Collector on June 03, 2013, 11:54:15 PM
Could it be a spring off of the pawl on a dial? No idea what it would be doing inside a Maneto 901 set though. Is it attached to a string? What is that Hole in the metal base (?) with a hole filler plug in it? That may be a clue to something.

Terry

If this phone is convertible wall/desk, then perhaps the hole is for the wires going to the battery box and to the line. North and SC wall phones both have a similar hole.

The maintenance manual I found online for the 901 mentions this plug and it's supposed to be to provide an alternate egress for the cords than the two openings on the back of the phone so that you can do a wall mount install with hidden wires.

poplar1

All the dial 901s parts phones (no housings) in Sonny's warehouse have 20-cycle frequency ringers so they don't have biasing springs which would be necessary on dial lines. They don't have a spring to hold down the dial bracket. However, your spring with the string attached is similar to the spring on WE 8A ringers in the 534A subset. This design allows a shorter spring than the kind used in the large coil ringers in an older AE 40.

I think the spring was for the ringer if there are no notches for adjusting the tension as pictured above in the other 901s. Is there any documentation other than the wiring diagram on converting from Local Battery (magneto and battery) to Common Battery?

Claven2

I haven't found any other conversion documentation.  I'll do some exploratory disassembly later tonight and report back on the ringer configuration.

poplar1

Do you still have the link for the maintenance manual you found online?

Claven2

So I did a little exploration and I think I have it figured out.  There's a small hook on the ringer lever arm that I think the spring attaches to.  Sadly when I tried to hook it, the ancient thread that ties it to the screw broke - it was pretty weak.  It's easily replaced though when I dis-assemble the phone for full cleaning, dial conversion and re-assembly :)

LarryInMichigan

Claven2

I suppose so, though this seems very crude.  I guess tension is regulated by the length the string is tied?  Seems kinda imprecise...?

stub

Larry,
        Way to go Larry.  8)   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Mr. Bones

Claven2,

I was finally able to open up my metal base 901; couldn't get the mag crank to back off, previously.

I found the same spring/string setup as you have. Pic enclosed. I hope this is some help.

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus