"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE880 Dawn Gray Speaker Phone on Chicago Craigslist

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 27, 2013, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

link

This one looks like its gray.  I expect that it's worth more than the seller is asking.

Larry

MagicMo

Practice Kindness :)

LarryInMichigan

WesternElectricBen

At lancaster 2012 I thought I saw a box of those combo units... Though they werren't back this year where I thought I could have snatched it up cheep.

Ben

AE_Collector

Well with MagicMo's help the Dawn Gray AE 880 Speakerphone is on easy street for the rest of it's time as it has joined the rest of my AE 880 speakerphone collection. Thanks to Larry for finding and posting it and thanks to Maureen for picking it up and ultimately packing it for it's trip out west (and a little bit north). I now officially have AE 880 Speakerphones in every color that they were made in.

That would be the end of the story but.......stay tuned, also with Mo's help it looks as though I will soon be the owner of another AE 880 in a color that AE never made 880's in. (hint: remember my previous avatar?)

So thanks again to Larry, Mo & Curly....not certain who Curly is but you know who you are....

AE 880's were officially made in these colors:
00 - Ebony Black
10 - Sand Beige
11 - Dawn Gray
12 - Jade Green
15 - Turquoise
19 - Gardenia White

See this topic (and others as well) for additional discussions about AE 880's as well:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7192.0

Here is it's picture immediately below and for good measure I put a picture of my Jade Green Touch Call 880 below the Dawn Gray one.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I hadn't realized that Mo meant that she bought it.  I am a bit slow.  At any rate, I am glad to know that the phone is in good company, and back home in Canada.

Larry

stub

Terry,
            SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

paul-f

Congratulations on completing the set, Terry!

I hope we'll be seeing a family portrait soon.

The comment about non-standard colors reminded me of these photos I've collected over the years.  I believe the red one was painted for Richard Rose, and that he has had other colors painted.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MagicMo

I'm glad it made it's way safely to you. I couldn't be happier for you.
It definitely find a good home!
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

AE_Collector

I did talk with Richard Rose a year or so ago whan that last red AE 880 showed up on ebaY. It was indeed one of a batch that he had Natural State Refinishers paint red and then he sold them all on ebaY. That one came back to ebaY by it's then current owner and it went for just over $100 on ebaY the second time around. They weren't actually AE Garnet Red, just WECo's similar darker red color. Richard had quite a few painted red, at least 10 but I believe that he said that red was the only non standard color that he made up AE 880's in.

Now to find that gold plated one!

Terry

AE40FAN

In regards to colors on AE880's and AE80's.   What colors did they come in and what colors are the most rare?  I'm assuming they had a dark blue, grey, red, yellow, white, jade green...

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

I will be right there. Just have to get this knock-off gold one spray painted up first.

An ebaY find Paul?

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 19, 2013, 04:30:15 PM
In regards to colors on AE880's and AE80's.   What colors did they come in and what colors are the most rare?

Here is the color list for AE 80's and 90's. rarest by far is 16 - Colonial Blue, particularly in 90 wall phones and the next rarest color is 11 - Dawn Gray.

00 - Ebony Black
10 - Sand Beige
11 - Dawn Gray
12 - Jade Green
13 - Classic Ivory
14 - Garnet Red
15 - Turquoise
16 - Colonial (dark) Blue
17 - Sunlight Yellow
18 - Camelia Pink
19 - Gardenia White
30 - Forget-Me-Not (light) Blue

In later years the AE 980/981/982 Styline drove them to produce more colors and some of these newer colors found their way into AE 80E sets as well as 192 desk and wall Starlte phones.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 19, 2013, 10:41:23 PM
Quote from: AE40FAN on July 19, 2013, 04:30:15 PM
In regards to colors on AE880's and AE80's.   What colors did they come in and what colors are the most rare?

Here is the color list for AE 80's and 90's. rarest by far is 16 - Colonial Blue, particularly in 90 wall phones and the next rarest color is 11 - Dawn Gray.

00 - Ebony Black
10 - Sand Beige
11 - Dawn Gray
12 - Jade Green
13 - Classic Ivory
14 - Garnet Red
15 - Turquoise
16 - Colonial (dark) Blue
17 - Sunlight Yellow
18 - Camelia Pink
19 - Gardenia White
30 - Forget-Me-Not (light) Blue

In later years the AE 980/981/982 Styline drove them to produce more colors and some of these newer colors found their way into AE 80E sets as well as 192 desk and wall Starlte phones.

Terry

Terry, is a dark blue contempa worth much? Or was it a regular color in the 70's and 80's?