News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

France Phone Models

Started by FABphones, August 15, 2019, 07:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I thought I'd take the opportunity to start a thread showing some of the various model phones I come across in France. Not all the phones shown in this thread are from my collection. Fabulous as they all are, some either don't fit in, have slipped me by, or I just haven't found it...

Hopefully the thread will be of helpful reference to anyone coming across any of these phones and wondering where they originate.

:)

PTT 24
The 'Toad'
Laurent (magneto)
Laurent (dial)
U43
S63
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Multi line models:

Teprina
Telephone Generale
Picart Lebas

FABphones

..from the 'would like to find' list...

'Type' 24

tubaman

Nice set of photos!
My French phones are some of my favourites as the older ones are just so different to anything else.
The PTT24 is a perfect example - take what looks like an outsize candlestick phone, chop off half of the stem and hang a handset cradle on it. Love it!
:) 

twocvbloke

Both S63 types are ones I'd like to have, particularly in the two-tone blue colours they came in, given blue is one of my favourite colours... :)

FABphones

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 15, 2019, 10:08:55 AM
Both S63 types are ones I'd like to have, particularly in the two-tone blue colours they came in, given blue is one of my favourite colours... :)

I don't know when it will be found, might take a while, but the next one I see, hopefully blue, I will gift to you.

twocvbloke

Quote from: FABphones on August 15, 2019, 10:15:06 AM
I don't know when it will be found, might take a while, but the next one I see, hopefully blue, I will gift to you.

Aww, thank you!! That's rather sweet of you to do so!!!  :D

countryman

I wondered about a "candlestick" type 24 that appeared on Ebay.fr lately.
What might have been the reason behind making a candlestick, when combined handsets were in use long since in France? Many times more type 24 or model PTT24 phones were built with handsets.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on August 15, 2019, 12:33:37 PM
I wondered about a "candlestick" type 24 that appeared on Ebay.fr lately.

Did you record the pictures and selling price?

What might have been the reason behind making a candlestick, when combined handsets were in use long since in France?

I don't know but I assume it was intended for other markets - perhaps the UK. Earlier on, both BTMC and ATEA made candlesticks. A fair number of the BTMC candlesticks were used in the UK.
The handset version was made for possible use by the PTT and it was accepted. I don't know if the PTT was also gives the option of the candlestick - it seems unlikely.

Many times more type 24 or model PTT24 phones were built with handsets.

I don't think the candlestick found a market and died out. Given that there was the handset version, it was not difficult to make the candlestick version as it used current Western Electric parts.

Jack

ReneRondeau

I've posted this in the past, but here's my favorite French phone. I bought it at the Paris flea market in 2002.

HarrySmith

WOW! That is very cool. Amazing condition. Did you restore it? What year is it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ReneRondeau

The wires are new but the finish is all original. The patent plate on the front is dated 1905 but it could have been made a few years later.

HarrySmith

Awesome! Are the battery jars original? Those are hard to find for phones on this side of the pond. Usually broken glass.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

I have some French phones but because of my interest, they are mostly auto.

Here is a selection in no particular order - some of the photos are pretty poor, I'll get around to photographing them some time.

The Thomson Houston 1913 Residence Set is of the type used on the first auto exchange in France.

Jack

Jack Ryan

One didn't fit.

Jack