News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 202 D1 from Associated Telephone Co LTD

Started by dsk, July 23, 2016, 01:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Removed some dust, and fitted new cords, now I have to make a subset!
When I turned the dial center this popped up, how old/new may that be?
dsk

rdelius

That is the GTE (General Telephone ) logo from late 50s to about 1970.Associated Telephone on the diagram was the old company name

dsk

An my holiday trip I found this in an antique shop.
Never heard about Associated Telephone Co LTD before.
Picture before and diagram.
Seems original to me.

The base is marked D1 USA, and stamped inside with red ink: I 37 and in the metal B-7.
The dial is marked 29  and CB with red ink, and the metal is stamped A.E.Co type 24
The hooksw. has 2 N.O. (on hook) contacts.
The handset  is E1

How could the dial center have been in about 1930?
What have I actually got my finger into?

Working on a compact subset without ringer.
dsk

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like your D1 went through a refurbishing house. Because the cord and dial aren't original, I would guess that it was set up for manual operation the original handset cord was frayed or broken.

Now that you replaced the cord, all you need is a nice #4 or #5 dial to complete the originality! Nice find!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

According to the diagram glued in the bottom plate, it is the right dial, this is obviously note a pure W.E. phone.
dsk

dsk

Here is the subset (without ringer)
The unit is put in to an old laptop power-supply, and made for plugging in the 4 prong plug from the table stand.
The circuit is made of different parts I had based on the idea of the triad-type circuit.
It works great!

Wiring diagram later.

dsk

dsk

Simple diagram, line in on top.
Out to desk stand at bottom.
Induction coil from a Siemens type  phone.
35 ohm transmitter winding (primary), 33 ohm winding Receiver (secondary), 95 ohms winding  + resistor +  capacitor = anti sidetone compensation. (tertiary).

dsk

dsk

Here are the diagram with desk stand and subset put in to the upper right corner.
The original drawing is a Kellogg.  As you see it is based on the same idea, and it works great.
dsk

dsk

I just have to make something ac dial card, and Ill guess this might be as good as anything else.
Printed on laser printer with picture with 4.1 cm and cut with circle cutter at 1 5/8 inch  ;)

dsk

dsk

I got a hint about the ral card should have been about like this:
dsk

david@london

Hey dsk,

did you in fact install your v nice self-designed Associated Tel Co numbercard in your D1, three years ago?

I thought you might also like to see, if you haven't already, this scan of an original from telephonearchive.com........

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/cards/telcos_other.html

RB

That subset is very clever!
DSK, your ideas never cease to impress!
Nice work!!! :)

dsk

Quote from: david@london on October 02, 2019, 02:53:30 PM
Hey dsk,

did you in fact install your v nice self-designed Associated Tel Co numbercard in your D1, three years ago?

I thought you might also like to see, if you haven't already, this scan of an original from telephonearchive.com........

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/cards/telcos_other.html

Thank you. I did make make my own, but that one looks good! Thank you!

dsk

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Great, and the name Sigurd L. Odegard sounds prett like a Norwegian name.  Ødgård is a common name here.
dsk