News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any advice on how to clean up?

Started by John S, March 02, 2013, 09:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I am working on a few phones today since the weather is chilly.  Does anyone have any advice on how to clean these up.  I am sure everybody has seen these  on phones.  They are long stickers that people would stick on the handset.  They would glow in the dark.  They are really a pain to clean up.  I removed one of them off, but it left a sticky residue.  After a while my hands get tired.  I know everybody has there own tricks.  Any ideas?

John

JohnInWI

To remove the sticky residue, try WD-40.  It works fairly well.  If the residue is dried (hard, not sticky), it takes longer.

ESalter

I assume those are ABS and not soft plastic from the 50s, so it's safe to use 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol on them.  That's what I use and it usually works pretty well.

---Eric

John S

One of them is soft plastic, the black one.  The tan is ABS...

John

jsowers

I've used denatured alcohol on ABS with good results. It will melt Tenite (soft plastic) so don't ever use it on that. On Tenite I use DuPont rubbing compound. It has a solvent in it that doesn't melt the plastic. You have to rub a little with a damp paper towel, like waxing a car. Sometimes leaving it on will help dissolve the stubborn goo and then it just wipes off with another application of the same stuff.

Unfortunately I don't think DuPont makes this item any more. I managed to find some at a local mom and pop auto parts store, in a huge can that should last a lifetime. The solvent part separates from the compound part and you have to stir it, like paint, before you apply.

I've heard of others using Goo Gone, but have never tried it.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Goo Gone works, it is great stuff! I have not tried it on soft plastic though. I use regular alcohol wipes like from a doctor's office, which is where I get them;), on my phones for small spots. I also do my usual soak in warm water and Oxiclean, leaving it overnight and stickers fall right off!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

I tend to use lighter fuel (the sort you pour into Zippo-type lighters) to remove labels and label goo, highly effective it is aswell, softens label gak quickly and dries quickly too, can't recall if I tried it on soft plastic though, but it's one of those things where you should test in a small hidden area first... :)

Dennis Markham

John, unless that handset is painted, it's probably NOT soft plastic.  The G1's in black were of course Bakelite, that looks like a G3.  Is there a date inside the handset?  I don't ever remember running into a soft plastic Black G3 unless another color was painted black.

zaphod01

I've used WD-40, Goo Gone, and Dawn dishwashing liquid. I learned the WD-40 trick when showing Corvettes. I drove several hundred miles to a show and parked next to an almost identical 1990 Corvette. The other guy had already started detailing his car and I saw him spray WD-40 all down the side of his car. I was appalled! I asked him what he was doing and he said he was removing road tar and it wouldn't harm the paint. I tried it and it worked great.

Seems to work well on my 500's. Takes black marks off light colored phones, too.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

John S

Thanks guys for all the hints....

Bought both phone at a sale, still attached to the home.  The tan has a nice long cord with a amplified headset.   Dennis, the black one was in the basement.  Its dated 1959, all the dates match.  Here are some more pictures.  They were 10 bucks each.  I will try the w-d40.  The black one is really nice....

John

Dennis Markham

I guess that IS a G1 handset, John.  I didn't notice the groove in the original photo.  Nice dial card too!

John S

Yes, its a nice phone overall....

The lady said it been in the basement since day one.  I'll keep you guys posted...

John