"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

low volume in princess 702B

Started by alison, September 01, 2012, 01:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alison

Hi All,
I have read through various postings of low volume and have cleaned terminals with alcohol and tried disconnecting the slate gray wire to R as well as other things but still low volume.  Otherwise the phone works beautifully.  It would be nice to hear people on the other end though.  Thanks
Alison

paul-f

Did your terminal cleaning include the contacts on the back of the dial and on the switchhook?

It's also good to verify the wiring against a wiring diagram and make sure all screw terminals are tight and that the receiver element firmly connected

Try wiggling the handset cord near the spade tips inside the phone and see if there's an intermittant problem.  If you have another handset cord, you could swap that and see if it makes a difference.

If you have a butt set, follow the audio path from the line cord end and see where the audio is disappearing.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Did you temporarily move the receiver wire from 5 to GN as I previously suggested? This will tell you if the muting contacts on the dial are working properly.... not sure why you would have moved the slate wire to R. (The slate ringer wire should not be connected to anything; the slate wire from the hookswitch normally stays on A.)

It's also possible that the receiver element is defective, but more often it is the contacts associated with the White and White-blue wires on the Touch-Tone dial. Moving the receiver wire (white if non-modular phone or green if modular) from 5 to GN bypasses these contacts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

alison

hi
I did move the white wire to the GN and it practically blasted my ear out!!!  Can I just leave it there for good? Thanks a whole lot!
Alison

poplar1

I think I did say "temporarily" though perhaps I should have warned you to hold the receiver away while dialing. This is merely a step in troubleshooting to see if it was a bad receiver, dirty contacts on the dial, miswiring or shorted red/black wires on the hookswitch.

Now that you know it's not anything else, you can put the wire back where it was but also clean the lower two contacts on the back of the Touch-Tone pad: Use a business card inserted between the contacts and move it back and forth a few times.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

alison

excuse my ignorance but what are the contacts on the back of the touchtone pad?
thanks

alison

i figured what they were by a process of elimination and it worked.  Thank you very much!