News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Building a NAS.... (Network Attached Storage)

Started by Babybearjs, March 24, 2019, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Who knows what a NAS is? I'm building one and using FreeNAS 11.2.  so, even though its not totally 'Telephone" related... it is of sorts... (you've got to get the service from somewhere!) anyway, if any of you have experience with FreeNAS, I'd love to hear from you.. I'm still learning it and how it all works... my main problem is getting access to the files through Windows... one minute its working, the next its not... so any help here?
John

compubit

I'm also interested - I have several hard drives i'd like to make available on my home network. I used Windows Home Server, but it's so out of date, I wouldn't trust in...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

Sounds like a communication problem. Between the two, they don't like talking to each other. It could boils down to speed between the two computers
KEN

RB

John.
If you have a good nas box on the network, and you keep losing connection,
Either the nic is bad, or the cable is weak. or, there is flakey software involved???
Swap in a good net cable, and set up a continuous ping, and watch the hits.
it shud be almost the same time each hit.

Babybearjs

I'm using FreeNAS 11.2 and a ITX MB... 4 GB memory... just learning.... trying to understand how to set it all up... I put it away for now. I and a larger unit with 8 hard drives in it but they are all different sizes and you need to have everything equal in a NAS so, I have to wait... I want to put all 1TB drives in it, bit as always, monies a problem....
John