News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello, New Member Here! - Marcelo L.

Started by Marcelo L., October 06, 2011, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

In that old Kellogg magneto box, #1 is the condenser (capcator) and #2 is the induction coil
Robby

bingster

And from the first photo, yes, the coil and condenser are what you need.  They're easily removed from the 302, and can be easily mounted inside the old box.
= DARRIN =

Marcelo L.

Quote from: bingster on October 26, 2011, 08:48:43 PM
And from the first photo, yes, the coil and condenser are what you need.  They're easily removed from the 302, and can be easily mounted inside the old box.

Thanks, Bingster!

Here's the coil and condenser out of the 302. I have to say, this 302 was nasty inside! It must have spent most of its life in a smoker's kitchen because it smelt like an ashtray and was heavily caked in grease. I drilled out the rivets for the coil and condenser brackets so that I can reuse them in the subset. I also took some time to clean and degrease the all the pieces. 

1) 

2) 

3) 

Marcelo L.

Hello friends, I'm still plugging away on my project and am just about ready to have this thing all put together; I just need a little bit more guidance.

Here's the subset box after refinishing. I stripped it down to the bare wood, sanded it, and gave it two coats of stain followed by two coats of polyurethane. Now it's time for reassembly.   

1) 

I have a few questions on wiring. I have the subset cord coming from the phone with four leads; red, green, black and yellow. I also have the line cord that would go from the subset to the wall. The line cord has the same colors as the subset cords.

2) 
The coil has the following terminals:

GN
R
Y L2
L1
C

3) 
The condenser has four wires:

Black
Yellow
Red
White (This appears to be the ground and I would assume it would connect to GN on the coil)

4) 

The ringer has what appear to be a white and black wire.

How does this all go together?

Marcelo L.

I found these two wiring diagrams on the site but they don't exactly look like what i have.

1) 

2) 

I would really appreciate any guidance.

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on October 09, 2011, 02:14:41 PM
No - the 101A induction coil and 195A condenser is the correct network for that phone.   Post a picture of the inside of the bottom of the phone, showing the wiring and contacts, and we'll put a wiring diagram together for you.  Also, are you going to put a dial in that phone?  If so, that will affect the wiring.  

I'm ready for the help with that wiring diagram now.  ;D

bingster

The first of the two diagrams is the one you need.  You don't have the little terminal board with the "K" and "BK" terminals on it, because your subset is so much older than the 634/684.  However, those two terminals are just tie points for a pair of wires, and you can use any of the several little screw terminals along the outer sides of your subset for that.  Other than that, everything should match up exactly (since you've installed 634/685 components in your box). 

Your cord that goes from the subset to the wall only needs two of the conductors, so use the red and green conductors for the hookup (just like in the diagram) and disregard the other two colors, as they're not necessary.  You can cover their ends in tape to keep them from contacting anything electrical if you like.
= DARRIN =

Marcelo L.

Quote from: bingster on November 03, 2011, 09:22:53 PM
The first of the two diagrams is the one you need.  You don't have the little terminal board with the "K" and "BK" terminals on it, because your subset is so much older than the 634/684.  However, those two terminals are just tie points for a pair of wires, and you can use any of the several little screw terminals along the outer sides of your subset for that.  Other than that, everything should match up exactly (since you've installed 634/685 components in your box). 

Your cord that goes from the subset to the wall only needs two of the conductors, so use the red and green conductors for the hookup (just like in the diagram) and disregard the other two colors, as they're not necessary.  You can cover their ends in tape to keep them from contacting anything electrical if you like.

Bingster, Thanks for the help, now I can get this puppy all wired up!  ;D

Marcelo L.

My telephone project is finally complete! I'm very happy to report that everything works as it should and I was even pleasantly surprised to find out that I am able to make outbound calls (without the use of a pulse to tone converter) with my Vonage VOIP phone service. Many thanks to this community for your support and guidance. 

==================================

Moderator Note: There are 45 externally linked images below, linked to Photobucket. This entire post/reply has been printed in and attached at the bottom of this post/reply as a PDF document.

==================================

GG

Holy cow, Marcelo!, you do excellent work there!

What's this "new member" stuff, that looks like you've been doing this all your life. 

Seriously.  You could offer to do those ringer boxes for other folks and they'd (I would anyway) pay you for the work. 

wds

Very nice!  And you have it mounted where it belongs - front and center on the wall where everyone can see it.  (and hear it)
Dave

bingster

You should be proud of that setup, Marcelo.  Very nicely done!
= DARRIN =

Marcelo L.

Quote from: bingster on November 05, 2011, 08:57:24 PM
You should be proud of that setup, Marcelo.  Very nicely done!

Thank you. I am very proud of this, indeed! This forum and it's members have been very helpful and now I look forward to the next project.

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on November 05, 2011, 08:44:50 AM
Very nice!  And you have it mounted where it belongs - front and center on the wall where everyone can see it.  (and hear it)

Thank you! I get a real kick out of it whenever someone calls and I hear those bells ring. It's funny; I've been so accustomed to the sound of modern ringers that when I hear this one, I forget for a second that it's actually a phone ringing. 

Marcelo L.

Quote from: GG on November 05, 2011, 06:43:02 AM

Holy cow, Marcelo!, you do excellent work there!

What's this "new member" stuff, that looks like you've been doing this all your life. 

Seriously.  You could offer to do those ringer boxes for other folks and they'd (I would anyway) pay you for the work. 

Thanks, GG! It wouldn't have even happened if it weren't for the nice folks in this community and Mr. Ron Powell. I'm a member of the AFCA (Antique Fan Collectors Association) and it was Mr. Powell who recommend I join this forum.