"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

low volume from the phone going out and coming in

Started by alison, October 30, 2017, 12:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alison

Hi
My 1969 touch tone princess has a low volume issue.  People hear me fine when I call out but I  have a hard time hearing both the dial tone and anyone else.  This is the same whether I call out or receive a call.  The phone worked fine for awhile.
So, I cleaned and tightened all the connections again , tried changing the outgoing line, tried a different jack all with no improvement.
Please help if you can.
Thank you

poplar1

It is probably either a weak receiver unit (in the handset) or dirty muting contacts on the dial.
If you don't have a spare receiver unit to swap out, then try moving the handset wire that is on terminal 5 (near the lamp inside the phone) to terminal GN (on the network). This will bypass the muting contact.

Terminal 5 also has a white-blue wire from the dial and a red wire from the hookswitch.
Terminal GN also has a white wire from the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

alison

Hey,
Switching the wire worked!  Can I just leave it there?
Thank you

poplar1

You can, but the tones will be very loud in your ear unless you hold the handset away from your ear.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on October 30, 2017, 03:17:09 PM
You can, but the tones will be very loud in your ear unless you hold the handset away from your ear.

A new (or used new to the phone) U3 would be the right way to go, right?

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on October 30, 2017, 03:25:42 PM
A new (or used new to the phone) U3 would be the right way to go, right?

No. The problem is not the U-3 receiver unit, but rather the common contacts on the back of the dial. I can't remember now which ones are associated with the white and white-blue wires. It may be the bottom contacts of the set in the upper left corner of the back of the dial. A business card or similar moved between the contacts should clean them; don't use anything abrasive which might remove the precious metal from the contacts.