News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

English Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, December 19, 2019, 08:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Does anyone have any info on this cool phone. Has a lot of switches, extension to exchange?  Any info is appreciated...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

GPO Secretarial Planset, #12 dial. They did two versions (#39, #44), I can't see on that photo - is the window on the left or right on that one? There should be the version number on the base.

I do have both versions, lovely phones. Not many people know that both little buttons (next to ext) are on all the phones, but are hidden underneath the blanking plate. If the second ext was in use the engineer would unscrew and remove the blanking plate and it would pop up.

Is this one you have or are thinking about?

ETA: screenshot.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

Detailed info link on this one, as used on plans 5, 5A, 7 & 7A:

https://britishtelephones.com/bellst39.htm

Essentially the predecessor to my N625 plansets... :)

FABphones

Zooming in, looks like the indicator window on that one is on the left, so is the later #44 bellset.

Screenshot below from above link. All the info on British telephones  :)  you could ever want to know on that website, well worth bookmarking.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on December 19, 2019, 10:00:10 PM
GPO Secretarial Set.

It's not specifically a secretarial set, it is one of a long line of intermediate telephones that allowed supervised use of a main telephone and one or two extension telephones.

Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 20, 2019, 01:23:44 AM
It's not specifically a secretarial set, it is one of a long line of intermediate telephones that allowed supervised use of a main telephone and one or two extension telephones.

Jack

Just so we are all clear here, would you add your definition of secretarial set.
In the meantime I have amended my term to Planset.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on December 20, 2019, 02:56:18 AM
Just so we are all clear here, would you add your definition of secretarial set.

I don't think there is a definition as such but a "secretarial set" is a specific application which often has facilities designed to support a secretary/boss scenario.

An intermediate set can be used in that application but like the Bellset No 20 and numerous others, it can be and was used in many other applications. Examples are shopfront/storeroom, shop/residence and so forth.

"Intermediate Set" is a general term and is often used in catalogues and by telephone administrations. Secretarial set also sometimes appears in catalogues for systems specifically tailored to an office environment.
[/quote]

In the meantime I have amended my term to Planset.

Planset is a term used by the GPO for a particular service - it is not a general term.

I am not the terminology police - I just wanted to point out that the set was not designed specifically for offices or for secretaries and their bosses.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 20, 2019, 03:11:09 AM
Planset is a term used by the GPO for a particular service - it is not a general term.

Then, bearing mind the above references, what word would you suggest I use? I can easily add another strikethrough in order to provide greater accuracy.

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 20, 2019, 03:11:09 AM
I am not the terminology police - I just wanted to point out that the set was not designed specifically for offices or for secretaries and their bosses.

No, you are not, but, and I say this with the greatest respect - your textbook knowledge can be impressive - but you do come across as pedantic on occasion.

I picked up much of my terminology from a background in STC, and everyday terminology (as such) from (now ex) BT/GPO employees, not from textbook. They called it that, I call it that.

As an aside, I have often wondered - are you intending to publish a book from the information you have gathered?

Regards.

Jack Ryan

I shall, in future, refrain from point things out. My intent was to be helpful, not pedantic.

I apologise if I have crossed the line.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

I got my two out of their temporary storage today and took a couple of photos for comparison to show indicator window positions.
No39 and No44 respectively.

These remain a couple of my favourite GPO phones.
:)

Doug Rose

thanks CJ....I got mine from eBay in 1996, when eBay was just becoming something, not like it is now. Phone was sent to me with NO packing just placed in the box.  >:(  The right bottom chipped off and a few cracks, but it is unseen a few feet away. I had never seen another until I saw the auction on eBay this week....Doug
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-English-Rotary-Telephone/283649117513?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
Kidphone