News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Today's eBay Absurdity - What Are They Thinking!

Started by McHeath, September 29, 2009, 01:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Those 2 holes are for the cords to exit, correct? Isn't it possible somone put a jack in there?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

This seems like a stupid question but haven't I seen handsets with phone plugs on them for sale on eBay, handsets that were to be used on, maybe, switchboards by managers or on military units? I've never needed anything like that so haven't researched them but if memory serves me right here, could it be that the handset is a real part. I don't know, just asking if the handset is legit.

HarrySmith

The switchboard handsets have a double plug on them. At least the ones I have seen and the ones for my 555 board.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 05, 2013, 03:28:47 PM
Those 2 holes are for the cords to exit, correct? Isn't it possible somone put a jack in there?

I assume it is possible that a jack was mounted there but I highly doubt it because there really isn't room in an AE 43A/83A for ANYTHING and most likely it would be the Stereo Headphone type jack that has the little nut that goes around the barrel and that would be visible on the outside of the case. Something major is missing inside the phone if they mounted a Telephone Switchboard type jack inside of the case!

Terry

TelePlay

And being only two conductors, what would you get or have there to use? Seems 3 or 4 conductors are usually found in a handset cord.

AE_Collector

I think that the handset could be legitimate for something though as Harry says, by far the most common would have the double jack type of plug. This plug is only 2 conductors so I am not sure how it would be wired inside. Transmitter and Receiver must be in series.

Terry

HarrySmith

That's what I thought Terry but I have not been inside of one of those yet so I was not sure of the space. If it is anything like the WE 211 you can't put a piece of paper in there ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 05, 2013, 03:54:34 PM
That's what I thought Terry but I have not been inside of one of those yet so I was not sure of the space. If it is anything like the WE 211 you can't put a piece of paper in there ;D

Yeah they were really going some to get everything in. They have the some induction coil as the AE 40 & AE 50 plus big grey can condensor and hook spring pileup etc. Then there is the big bolt that the hook pivots on as well.

The good news is that all it really needs is a garnet red AE Type 81 handset. This is a Type 83A Spacesaver and would have a Type 81 handset as it is colored. The exact same case in black and with a type 41 handset is an AE 43A.

Terry

TelePlay

So, how about an early version of this currently on eBay? A two wire lineman's style handset with dial.

"VINTAGE ROTARY DIAL BAKELITE HANDSET PHONE TELEPHONE WIRETAPPING EAVESDROPPING"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111174395281 ( dead link 02-19-21 )

BIN for $35.50 plus $22.50 shipping - a piece of cold war history, 3 days of the condor prop? I dunno . . . :(

AE_Collector

Looks Home Made...doesn't it? Plastic fingerwheel on dial seems out of place for a rugged piece of test equipment and the clips aren't really substantial either. Clips were usually the Bed of Nails type and sometimes had the single sharp pin for piercing Drop Wire Insulation. Maybe for an inside environment but then they frequently have specific plugs for switching equipment rather than clips.

Terry

TelePlay

This is what I refering to when I said I've seen similar handsets on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300971792029

BIN $44.95 plus $12.95 shipping

What is this, if not seems made up by someone, and where would it be used? Looks like 120 VAC line cord going into the plug, doesn't it?

rdelius

Not unuasual from eastern Europe.most likely the govt telephone co used scrapped sets to build these.I have some US ones from ind telcos that are just as crude.

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on October 05, 2013, 04:18:11 PMNot unuasual from eastern Europe.most likely the govt telephone co used scrapped sets to build these.I have some US ones from ind telcos that are just as crude.

So it seems. The markings on the dial of this lineman's set is not American, so it seems. And the seller is in Bulgaria, duh-oh!  :-[

TelePlay

Not to beat a dead phone here, but yes, Harry, I've seen the two plug versions and then there is this one with a 4 conductor plug which would do the same thing. So back to the red phone, haven't a clue at what's going on inside the housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161104092107

TelePlay

Let's start a count of who can beat a topic to death the best/most . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150835662821

This one has an eye hook and an AC type line cord terminated with two alligator clips. There must be some use for these (even clandestine) with the number of them out there.