News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

First Goodwill auction purchase, a busted-up 302.

Started by Greg G., September 24, 2011, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I've been looking for 302s like this ever since I learned 302s can be used for subsets.  No need for instructions on careful packing for this one.  Purchase price was $6.99 with me as the only bidder, but with shipping, handling, and tax, it came to $19.70.  Nearly tripling the purchase price is the biggest reason I rarely buy online, but it's still a good buy for use as a subset and parts.  I would opt to pick it up, but the Tacoma WA Goodwill is an hour drive away.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

The big advantage of phones like that is that there is no guilt feeling with breaking it up it for parts.  The shell is all but worthless, but the base is good for a subset, and the dial and various other parts are all usable as replacement parts.  The dial alone if worth the $20.

Larry

Phonesrfun

At least you will get a good subset out of it, and the price was right.
-Bill G

Greg G.

It came yesterday.  The shell was more busted up than the picture showed.  They actually wrapped the handset so it was not on the cradle, not that it mattered.

First thing I did was turn it over and saw a big ol' NO RINGER stamp on it.  Just my luck.  I opened it up and sure enough, no ringer.  Then in my zeal to salvage the wanted parts, I neglected to at least plug it in to see if it worked.

Most of the parts seem to be from May and June of 51.  The date stamp on the base is a little different.  The transmitter cap is garbage of course, but I left it on for now just to keep track of the transmitter element.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

Is that the kind of housing that Chuck H. was looking for to experiment with?
Doug Pav

Babybearjs

I had one like that once.... came with a vacuum tube in it and wound up getting a new shell off of ebay. wound up with a really nice 302C once everything was back together... just got another one from ebay, everything on it was good except the handset cord, and the mnissing fingerwheel.... paid $21.00 for it... I guess that good since the average price can go for over $50.00.... and thats WITH the missing dial center.... good luck with the parts, put them to good use!
John

Greg G.

Once I find a ringer, it's going to find a new life as a subset.
- Mike Row
e

GG

There are some B1AL ringers for sale on FleaBay right now for about $20.  (I just got one to put in a 302 a friend gave me, that presently has a frequency ringer.)

What does Ray charge for his 302 ringer box covers? 

Greg G.

Quote from: GG on October 01, 2011, 02:09:55 AM

There are some B1AL ringers for sale on FleaBay right now for about $20.  (I just got one to put in a 302 a friend gave me, that presently has a frequency ringer.)

What does Ray charge for his 302 ringer box covers? 

$22 + shipping.
- Mike Row
e