News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Garnet Red Starlite/Compact Wall???

Started by GTE Rick, April 23, 2016, 09:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTE Rick

I recently have started to catalogue my collection, so I stop buying duplicates and get one in every color(okay maybe 3 in every color) .  Whilst I was checking what I have against what I have and what would be needed to complete the collection, I saw that there is a Red Starlite/Compact wall ... I have never seen one for sale or in any collections ... do they exist???   

If you have one PLEASE post a picture ... so I can covet!
Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

AE_Collector

As far as I know Starlite desk and/or wall never existed in Garnet Red. I have never seen one. There was the newer (brighter) Candy Apple Red but I don't think Starlites were made in that color either, only Stylelines. Actually, I think I saw an 80E in Candy Apple red once.

Terry

GTE Rick

Terry,

I saw it listed in The GSP 997-015-800 issue 4 April 1978... here is an except... the full practice is in the TCI library.

AE_Collector

Interesting! There must be one out there somewhere!

Terry

paul-f

Here's one from the ebay auction photos archive - from the days when auction photos were much smaller.

This one may have been painted.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Now we know what it would look like. But, I bet that one is painted considering that they dont have the correct cord for it.

Garnet Red AE 880 Speakerphone anyone?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8051.0

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

It definitely looks painted to me--it looks slightly dull, like spray paint without a clear coat.

I always thought AE provided all phones in the '60s and '70s (with exception to the 880) in common colors like Garnet Red. I wonder why the Starlite was largely an exception...it certainly was popular, and Dark Red was very popular in the '70s.

I guess the proof is that the wall version was provided in Red, and we haven't seen one in that color yet.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

GTE Rick

Quote from: paul-f on April 24, 2016, 10:24:53 AM
Here's one from the ebay auction photos archive - from the days when auction photos were much smaller.

This one may have been painted.

It looks painted to me, I have a painted Autumn Gold desk Starlite. (the base is pained and the hand set is not.)

GTE Rick

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 24, 2016, 08:19:50 PM
It definitely looks painted to me--it looks slightly dull, like spray paint without a clear coat.

I always thought AE provided all phones in the '60s and '70s (with exception to the 880) in common colors like Garnet Red. I wonder why the Starlite was largely an exception...it certainly was popular, and Dark Red was very popular in the '70s.

I guess the proof is that the wall version was provided in Red, and we haven't seen one in that color yet.

It seams odd that they would produce the Styleline 16 plus colors, and keep the Starlite desk limited to the original, Sand Beige, Classic Ivory, Turquoise, Camellia Pink, Basic White, Forget-Me-Not Blue, and some time before 1975 adding Basic Black, Avocado and later Espresso Brown when they started sell phone directly to the public.

Also why do Turquoise and Avocado not get cool names??

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, 'Basic White' isn't that cool... ::)
Christian Petterson

paul-f

Quote from: RickGTE on April 29, 2016, 10:44:16 PM
Also why do Turquoise and Avocado not get cool names??

What's not cool about Turquoise and Avocado?

It seems to me the uncool names would be blue-green and dull green.   ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

oldguy

Back in the 70s, when "Harvest Gold" & "Burnt Orange" were popular, "Avocado" was still just Avocado. Maybe because "Avocado" is actually something, a vegetable or fruit. Chrysler called their there white cars "Vanilla", maybe that would have been a good name for "Basic White".
Gary

andre_janew

Chrysler had a burnt orange color for their engines that they called "Hemi Orange".

oldguy

Don't forget "Plum Crazy", "Sublime", "Panther Pink" & "Top Banana". Chrysler had some cool color names in the 60s.
Gary

WEBellSystemChristian

At least crazy '60s car colors had cool names to go with them. These days, the really BORING colors have interesting names: Candy Apple Red, Platinum White, Bronze Metalic Fire, White Diamond Tricoat, etc.
Christian Petterson