"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 01, 2013, 10:02:28 PM
This is on pace to beat the Williams Bell subset from a couple years ago that the guy pulled out of the scrap pile and sold for $22 grand.

Closer than you think, it was $18k: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4642.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Mo - Have you given any thought as to how you're going to pack it for shipping?  Those crates look like they're meant for storage and short, gentle transport, but I would be nervous about trusting them in the hands of various shipping/handling gorillas, especially if they're going to sent long distance, and especially the viewing screen. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

Briny,
I will definitely call upon the expertise of the buyer and everyone here. I cringe at the thought.
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

QuietStove

my .02

If it closes significantly high get an attorney involved so the onus of payment, payment settlement, insurance, and delivery can be clearly communicated and associated costs can be agreed upon.    Any tax considerations?  does payment go to you, you and your husband, directly to grandchildren, or to the estate?

For physical packing I would have shipping crates built specifically for the individual pieces.  For transport I would recommend a specialty handling service and not a typical carrier services.   In person pick up would be the safest for both parties once payment settlement is completed.

Good chance the buyer will already be well-rehearsed with the above.   Go slow and take your time.

Perhaps someone who is knowledgeable on this subject can chime in.

Craig

kleenax

Quote from: MagicMo on February 02, 2013, 10:22:34 PM
Briny,
I will definitely call upon the expertise of the buyer and everyone here. I cringe at the thought.
Mo
Hey Mo; Everyone's avatar photo is coming up except your's.
Did that "cease-and-desist" order from that movie-star who's photo you were using finally kick in? 8)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

MagicMo

I tried to change my profile pic back to the Picturephone and it wouldn't let me. I will try again later. Thanks for the movie star comment, the check's in the mail.  ;D
Mo

QuietStove

Woah! 

$21,433.67

MagicMo, Congrats to you!   

baldopeacock

Quote from: MagicMo on February 03, 2013, 02:34:54 PM
I tried to change my profile pic back to the Picturephone and it wouldn't let me. I will try again later. Thanks for the movie star comment, the check's in the mail.  ;D
Mo

$21K later, that check will be easier to write.   :)   Congratulations!   I was watching it in the last minute.    That $5K jump made my wife say "Oh, wow!".

Your dad's happy, Maureen.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

MagicMo

LarryInMichigan

Amazing!  I would expect that the winning bidder will have specific instructions about packing and shipping.  I would expect him to want to make the arrangements himself.  I certainly would if I were the buyer.  I would want to pick it up in person.

Larry

G-Man

John has some telecom properties in the area and though I haven't spoken about it with him as yet, it most likely would not be out of the question for both him and Wayne to fly out and pick it up in person.

AE_Collector

If that happens, you may want to open "your museum" up for him to look around at some more potential finds for his museum.

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 03, 2013, 08:43:16 PM
If that happens, you may want to open "your museum" up for him to look around at some more potential finds for his museum.

Terry

I'm not sure to whom your comments are directed to but if it is me, please be advised that I have already donated several desirable items including rare early 500-sets to his museum. And I've been in recent discussions regarding some additional items that he desires.

G-Man

Hmm... It looks as if Maureen's auction went a great deal more smoothly than the NFL's big event:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Power went out at the Superdome early in the third quarter of the Super Bowl on Sunday with the Baltimore Ravens leading the San Francisco 49ers 28-6.

The majority of the lights failed shortly after Jacoby Jones returned the opening kickoff of the second half for a touchdown. There was 13:22 left in the quarter.

After a few minutes, the public address announcer said the Superdome was experiencing an interruption of electrical service and encouraged fans to stay in their seats.

Some fans did the wave to pass the time. Players milled around on the sidelines, some took a seat on the bench, other on the field. A few of the Ravens threw footballs around.

Officials gathered on the field and appeared to be talking to stadium personnel.