News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Thanks G-Man. I thought I found a replacement CRT for them. Oh well, I'll just keep searching.
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

twocvbloke

I'm sure someone would find that Sony tube handy though to repair a compatible TV that has a duff tube... :)

Stick it up on the bay and see if anyone bites... :)

rdelius

Could that picture tube be a replacement for the one in the later picturephone?
The square one from about 1969

MagicMo

Quote from: rdelius on April 28, 2013, 09:18:51 PM
Could that picture tube be a replacement for the one in the later picturephone?
The square one from about 1969

I contacted Wayne from JLK Museum about it. He thinks it could be used for a later Picturephone.
He's checking it out.
Mo ???

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on February 09, 2013, 08:45:29 PM
Interesting tidbit. I was contacted (through ebay) by a Bell Labs engineer that was part of the Picturephone team and he knew the engineers that I listed in my EBay description. I looked up his name and he is legit. Geez, I don't know what to say. What questions should I ask him?
Thanks,
Mo

Have you heard back from him at all?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

Quote from: Brinybay on April 29, 2013, 12:28:12 AM
Quote from: MagicMo on February 09, 2013, 08:45:29 PM
Interesting tidbit. I was contacted (through ebay) by a Bell Labs engineer that was part of the Picturephone team and he knew the engineers that I listed in my EBay description. I looked up his name and he is legit. Geez, I don't know what to say. What questions should I ask him?
Thanks,
Mo

Have you heard back from him at all?

Hi There,
I never heard back from him but I did tell him to come on this forum. I don't quite remember why I was unable to get his email. I think it was through EBay and the message didn't go through. At the time (never having sold on Ebay) I did not know all the rules. I will see if our old messages are still there and see what happens. It would be great to pick his brain!
Thanks
Mo

liteamorn

A little late to the show, what an incredible thread and an incredible phone! I remember talking on one of these as a kid at the 1964 NY Worlds Fair in the Bell Telephone exhibit. I have often wondered if any of these survived!

MagicMo

This picture was taken in 1965 at a Picturephone exhibit in Chicago.
One of those might have been the one I auctioned. I found this recently and wanted to share.

Mo

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on May 05, 2014, 10:20:16 PM
This picture was taken in 1965 at a Picturephone exhibit in Chicago.
One of those might have been the one I auctioned. I found this recently and wanted to share.

Mo
Great photo, Mo!

What a find the Picturephone was. It has to be a record! I am so glad you did so well!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Very cool image, it's also great to see you post again, Mo!

Ben

Phonesrfun

Mo, Where ya been?  Good to see you back!  That Picturephone was a great auction.
-Bill G

BDM

WOW amazing. Boy did I miss the fun while away from the forums on this one. Congrats Maureen!! Really nice story behind that phone and the pics and memories of your father.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

WEBellSystemChristian

It's amazing how you didn't just find the picturephone in someone else's attic, lying damaged in some toy box, but you found it as new as the day it was built, as one of your father's treasures, in his own attic!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Speaking of your Dad's attic, have you found anything else up there recently?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Other than the Western Electric KS xxxxx "Attic Insulation" ("Insulation - Attic" in the GPO system!) that is!

Terry