News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GEC Cyrillic Black Rotary Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, June 10, 2017, 02:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this on eBay for BIN for $19.99. Did GEC make phones for Russia? Really nice shape. I just gave it the wipe down for pics....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252976389438?
Kidphone

Alex G. Bell

I don't know but it's interesting that it follows the WECo dial layout with 1 above 0 instead of 0 at the bottom, following AE.  I was unaware that any British dials followed the WECo layout.

There were also WECo 150-type dial plates for #5 dials with Cyrillic characters on the plate.  I was told that they were made for a US-Soviet Union Lend Lease program.

Doug Rose

Alex...nice phone in your Avatar...is it yours? I been collecting telephones for 35 years and you seem to have a world of knowledge. I have been in the ATCA and TCI. I  am Doug, who are you? ....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 10, 2017, 02:56:38 PM
I don't know but it's interesting that it follows the WECo dial layout with 1 above 0 instead of 0 at the bottom, following AE.  I was unaware that any British dials followed the WECo layout.

There were also WECo 150-type dial plates for #5 dials with Cyrillic characters on the plate.  I was told that they were made for a US-Soviet Union Lend Lease program.

I think the dial is by Siemens & Halske, or a licensee, not British.
Cyrillic was/is used not only USSR/Russia, but also as far west as Yugoslavia, todays Serbia, Macedonia, etc.

The original set design is likely Ericsson, DBH-1001 based, spawned a lot of similar types, but this is not a GEC telephone.
I think was made by VEF, CCCP.   1950s and 1960s.

TelePlay

Seller/Location info:

rdelius

I agree it is not GEC but a VEF BAGTA set from Riga.Yours is most like 50-60s but some were made in the 1930s.The dial and most parts were copies of German parts

Doug Rose

Robbie...you are correct...it is VEF in the circle on the phone and the handset....It is still a keeper.....Doug
Kidphone