News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Noisiest 500 Dial Ever.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 04, 2010, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

This is perhaps the noisiest 500 Dial I have ever heard. I thought it was just dirty, I cleaned an re lubed it checked it for any obstructions, the dial is in very very good condition..
It's a 7D 5-55.
D/P
Listen to it here.

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

That is a lot noisier than I would expect.  Does it appear to be all original, or did someone "try" to rebuild it  with borrowed parts?
Jim
BTW count the teeth on the gears
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jester

You should have some ability to adjust gear lash between the governor assy. & the main gear.  It sounds like there is too much clearance between those two gears.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Good point Jester,
There is a gear lash adjustment (slotted) screw by the wiring harness  block. clockwise to tighten.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

This is what I found out.
In the photo Screw number 5 was slightly loose.  The gears were too tight to each other, so I adjusted at point 1.  I also had to loosen, and re-tighten screws 2,3, and 4, which made the dial even smoother. It appears at some point someone had taken the dial apart or attempted to.

D/P

Jim Stettler

Screw #1 is the  gear mesh adjusting screw.

I have some dial BSP's that I will post to the forum and Remco site once I get around to placing the scanner and scanning them (don't hold your breath, probaly around Winter).
as an interesting note these bsp's show a 5302 and don't refer to it as MD (1973).

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Dan, in your photo, just above the #5 arrow is the plastic cam lobe that pushes against the pulse contacts while the dial is unwinding.  In your picture it appears to be pointing to the 6 o'clock position.  The dial isn't going to work properly, or at all there.  It should be point in about the 9:30 - 10:00 position, putting pressure against the contacts while at rest.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Thanks for the headsup. That pretty much confirms my suspicions that someone took or attempted to take the dial apart.
I didn't see the out of position cam.

D/P

Dan/Panther

I removed the cover from the phone, disconnected the dial wiresl, loosened the dial mounting screws, then started to remove the dial dust cover when I noticed the cam was in the right position. I was trying to figure out how that was possible when it dawned on me that the photo was of the dial Okami forumsOkami forums I made my adjustment to the gear mesh.
Apparently when I loosened the adjustment screws the cam went back to it's home position. Either the cam automatically goes back to home, or I was the luckiest person ever to adjust a dial.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Maybe luck played a part.  What I do (which is different that what a normal person would do) is pry off the little plastic lobe before I clean the dial parts.  Under the lobe are two tiny copper, paper thin washers.  So one must be careful to put those back in the same place.  When I'm all finished I put the lobe (for lack of a better term) back on in the proper position.  It makes it easier than trying to align the gears during reassembly.