"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old red Amper Spanish phone

Started by Spanish_phones, November 28, 2013, 08:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spanish_phones

Hi everybody!

As you asked me, I'll show you my Old phones, here I present you the last one I bought just a few days ago

This is a 1980's Spanish phone. It was made between CTNE and Amper ( the last one made only the buttons). It's the evolution of the rotary "Heraldo", it has every single component exactly the same except from the dial. I've completely cleaned and polished it, here you are a few photos of it.

The reason why I fell in love with it is because it appears on a world wide known Spanish film. Common! Try to guess which movie is it!

I hope you enjoy

Phonesrfun

I have no clue as to the movie, bu the phone has some class.
-Bill G

Matilo Telephones

Great Phone. Right up my street, as it is red. Lovely.

Was this model unique to spain? The design of the handset looks American.

Et tu mama tambien? (Movie)
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Spanish_phones

The phone is 100% Spanish product, as you can see in the photos, the gray rotary model and the red button one are really similar! Only changes the color and the dial: the red one has an adaptor because the case has a circular hole for a rotary dial, because they continued making the old rotary dial model at the same time as the button one. I think they only produced in and for Spain, may be they exported it too, but I don't think so

One more peculiar thing about this phone is that is not a touch-tone, in other words, it works with pulses, just like a rotary dial, and you here the same sound as in the rotaries.

Matilo, that is not the movie, I give you one clue to guess the movie: Carmen Maura is the leading role in the movie.

WesternElectricBen

Very nice phone, I have seen similar (or so I think) British telephones but never Spanish phones.

Looks great in your living room too, my parents let me have one in our kitchen and that's it.

Ben

twocvbloke

The GPO did do something similar with the 700 series, turning the 746 into the 756, 764 and 782 (and their wall-mount variants too), fitting an adaptor faceplate to accept a push-button dial while the rest of the circuity is the same as it's preceding rotary models... :)

Spanish_phones

Ben, I have phone all over the flat: one in the entrance, one in the living room, two in my deskpot as you could see in the ericsson post, and the rest of them in my bedroom :)

Twocvbloke, that's exactly the same way they did in Spain ;)

Do you want more clues for guessing the film? It's really easy to find which one is it ;)

Matilo Telephones

The PTT also did something like that with their T65. They made an adapter faceplate for retrofitting on refurbished telephones. It was grey for grey relephones and black for colored telephones.

The also made a casing in one piece for new T65´s.

Iñaki, your spanish phones look very much like the German Fetap 611. Same casing? See picture below.

The movie: Mujeres Al Borde De Un Ataque De Nervios ?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Spanish_phones

Ding ding ding! You said the movie Matilo

And the ppt German phone has the same case, but that's all, it has different dial and electrical components. In Germany, they made them in vivid colors; in Spain, we made then in soft colors :)

Here you are a few pictures of the movie: "Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios" , made in 1988

The title in English is "Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown"  

And this is a link of the trailer for USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzqS11n9mw

Jack Ryan

The ITT Assistant was developed jointly by BTMC in Belgium and SEL in Germany. The development was reported in Electrical Communications of 1963 Volume 38 No 2.
This phone was used by Standard Electric (ITT) all over the world as a basis for local variants. Its inspiration can be seen in many phones:

• The Assistant itself (called the Assistent by non-English speakers)
    The 800 Colorfone (Australia)
    The 611 series (Germany)
    The Heraldo (Spain) (one of the few phones that used a US Western Electric type dial governor)
    The T65 although a bit further removed (The Netherlands)
And others...

The Assistant was originally designed to use one of several different circuits. One of the options was very close to the US WE 500 circuit.

Spanish_phones

Jack Ryan, thank you very much for the info! As you said, Heraldo phones have the same governor has 7d and 9 WE dials. I see that from the 60's, all Spanish models were previously designed by ITT ;)