News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Keepers of History

Started by Doug Rose, December 18, 2013, 07:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Every time you save a telephone from the scrap heap, you are saving history for the next generation Every time you fix up a telephone and make it work, you are saving history. Not only are we collectors but we are keeping history alive. A visual!

In ten years we probably will not have land lines as we know them. BUT we will have the Panasonic 616. We will show how they worked. Nothing better than seeing a young one trying to figure out a rotary phone.

Keepers of History. How cool is that??

Kidphone.... Keeper of History
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Jeez, Doug, you're like a telephone philosopher! If I went back into the forum's history, I bet I could name several good telephone quotes you have said. ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

I agree, we definitely are saving history. We are all historians in the way of all the information that we know about history of telephones etc.

Ben

Dan/Panther

I just wish we had one huge, permanent location for a museum. To display and store all of these artifacts for posterity.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WesternElectricBen

cough cough.. Turtle Lake, Wisconsin.

Ben

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

The good thing is we are keeping the phone alive. I am amazed at what Ben did! Our families know how much these mean to us and will move them accordingly. They have real value. They have been saved and history is passed on and held in their hands. Not just a picture. They will feel the weight, hear the dial, Listen to a conversation. So cool.

A phone made in the turn of the century still can work properly today,,,with style. Just how many products can say that, A clock,,,yes, a phonograph... limited, a radio...AM, a sewing machine...maybe?? This list is small, but only a clock and a phone can be fully functional, How cool is that!!!

Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 20, 2013, 07:12:07 PM

A phone made in the turn of the century still can work properly today,,,with style. Just how many products can say that, A clock,,,yes, a phonograph... limited, a radio...AM, a sewing machine...maybe?? This list is small, but only a clock and a phone can be fully functional, How cool is that!!!

Not to leave anyone out, I don't collect them but I have seen some very remarkable restorations of elegant old desk and floor fans that work with full functionality.

Doug Rose

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 20, 2013, 07:27:04 PM
What did Ben do?

Sorry Ben...I had you and Christian mixed up on that beautiful Blue 500 set. I am in awe of two young guys with the passion for old telephones.

Christian....it was an a great job you did. Sorry for the mix up guys, your monikers are very similar.  Both of you have the desire to keep old phones alive...Doug
Kidphone