"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 Earlier Red 500s Bought on eBay for 38.55

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 19, 2014, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

Just this night I bought this: http://tinyurl.com/2EairlyerRed500s.

I think I did pretty good, 38.00 and 16.00 dollar shipping is pretty expensive for me, though I am not complaining. For ex: 27 dollars per phone.

Though, the one I think is semi special is the one on the left, with the soft center fingerwheele from 11/58. I hope it is soft plastic, and if it is, then I had done well, but I am a bit skeptical by the fact of the torn sticker residue.

As for the other one, more of a free-be, but I am sure I will find a place for it.

Ben

Contempra

Or if you have no place,, send me one for a gift Ben.... ;)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Contempra on January 19, 2014, 09:34:12 PM

I would, but shipping to Canada kills!

Ben

LarryInMichigan

There is a very good chance that the one phone is soft plastic.  Be very careful when removing the sticker adhesive.  Most products which are used to dissolve adhesive will also dissolve the plastic.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Yeah, I hope so, even though it has the plastic triangles, it is a late 1958, making it possible those are still the original feet.

Ben

LarryInMichigan

The switch to ABS plastic happened during 1959, so unless this phone was refurbished, the plastic will be tenite.  With a bit of effort, this phone should come out looking very nice.  Before cleaning it, you will want to cover all of the date stamps on the plastic with a bit of petroleum jelly to avoid washing them off.

Larry

poplar1

On the 11/58, the fat handset cord looks promising. There's also a bonus: check the mounting cord, also a retractile cord.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on January 19, 2014, 11:07:18 PM
On the 11/58, the fat handset cord looks promising. There's also a bonus: check the mounting cord, also a retractile cord.

I agree, now that I look at it, some more.

I saw the curly line cord, and I thought it was replaced, is it possible that was an option?

Ben 

poplar1

Yes, it was an option. The leads are red, green and yellow; so, it's not a handset cord that someone repurposed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 19, 2014, 09:47:23 PM
Quote from: Contempra on January 19, 2014, 09:34:12 PM

I would, but shipping to Canada kills!

Ben

No problem Ben ;)... for the stickers,, remove the wires in the handset, leave the handset in a solution ( Hot water plus dish-soap 24 hours )  This is what I do and I've never had problems

Matilo Telephones

Great find. I'm very jealous, as I collect red telephones.  ;)
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on January 20, 2014, 07:00:48 AM
Great find. I'm very jealous, as I collect red telephones.  ;)

Thanks man! I like red too, but I'm going to have to wait to investigate more.. :)

Ben

jsowers

Ben, I was the runner up bidder on that auction and I'm glad I didn't run your bid up too high. I'm also glad the phones went to a collector who plans to restore them. I think they're worth what you paid and the 11-58 one looks all original to me. You might even find the original number card. Those coil mounting cords were definitely an option and this one also has a longer than normal original handset cord, which is kind of rare. You may need to use a dowel on that handset cord to make all the coils go the same way.

Look at the date on the strain relief of the cords to determine if they're original or not. I've gotten 1958 coil mounting cords several times. I use rubbing compound to get sticker goo off the plastics, but soaking will also work. The compound will also get paint residue off most of the time. Then clean off the dried compound and go over the phone with Novus 2 and it should look great. Do protect those date stamps like Larry said if you soak it, just in case.

Be sure to take "before" pictures before you start and then post "after" pictures for us to see the results. I think you're going to enjoy working on both of them. To me, that's the best part.
Jonathan

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: jsowers on January 20, 2014, 12:23:08 PM
Ben, I was the runner up bidder on that auction and I'm glad I didn't run your bid up too high. I'm also glad the phones went to a collector who plans to restore them. I think they're worth what you paid and the 11-58 one looks all original to me. You might even find the original number card. Those coil mounting cords were definitely an option and this one also has a longer than normal original handset cord, which is kind of rare. You may need to use a dowel on that handset cord to make all the coils go the same way.

Look at the date on the strain relief of the cords to determine if they're original or not. I've gotten 1958 coil mounting cords several times. I use rubbing compound to get sticker goo off the plastics, but soaking will also work. The compound will also get paint residue off most of the time. Then clean off the dried compound and go over the phone with Novus 2 and it should look great. Do protect those date stamps like Larry said if you soak it, just in case.

Be sure to take "before" pictures before you start and then post "after" pictures for us to see the results. I think you're going to enjoy working on both of them. To me, that's the best part.

Thanks, Johnathon,

I really hope the 11/58 is original, especially with the option cords! I agree, I hope to find the original dial card, as they always add the finishing touches.

I agree, I'm going to wrap the cords, and clean them. (I sometimes get worried about breaking them though when they are being soaked.) As for the sticker, the rest of the phone, I will "goo gone" it off then polish it, like you said, with novus 1.

Ben

LarryInMichigan

I think that "Goo Gone" will dissolve the plastic!  Before using any product on the plastic, try a tiny amount first on the inside of the shell.

Larry