News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Do I have Here?? 332 Set marked United Nations

Started by Doug Rose, March 15, 2014, 03:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

And then there is this one, "Telephone - bakelite, black, PMG 332, 'Portable' (rare feature)," newly listed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201053437162

with a nickle/chrome finger wheel, carry handle, tray and similar handset from Australia for BIN $108 plus $79 shipping.

The seller listed it with the following description:  "This beautiful old telephone would make a magnificent addition to any phone collection, or vintage desk. The bakelite isn't cracked, and still retains much of its shine, and the phone features the original PMG wall plug and fabric cables. In essence, it is all original and in great condition. The phone also has a rare feature - a handle that extends out of the phone so that it could be carried around while the user was talking on the phone. These are designated as a 'P' (portable) version of the phone, and was great for use in legal offices, dental surgeries and doctors clinics when these phones were attached to a long cable. A white version of this phone is depicted close to the start of the Baz Luhrmann film 'Australia', where the user does just what the phone was made to do. Walk around while talking."

twocvbloke

I guess I was wrong about the ITI thing then, I suppose that ITI bought ATE's tooling and whatnot as they're pretty close copies, aside from where they messed around with "modernising" the design, poorly... ;D

As for that aussie version, it looks pretty good and is cheap (well, aside from the shipping!!) compared to the 332 offerings over here in the UK... :)

AE_Collector

Years ago when PBX's were rented from the Telco, some businesses would opt for an Intercom system that they owned that was NOT connected to the outside world. Then they might have a smaller PBX, key system or even individual lines from the Telco for just the people who needed access to the outside world.

Here in British Columbia and likely all of Canada, British systems with British phones like these 332's were reasonably common to find years ago as intercoms in businesses that needed many stations but few of the stations needed outside access.

Potentially the United Nations had a similar system at one time.

Terry

TelePlay

And yet another one, but without the drawer, from down under starting at $0.99 but $80 in shipping. Either my radar wasn't set on these or they are coming out of the woodwork this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331154179068

Seller says, about this phone: "PMG Black Bakelite 300 Phone C.1950's - Manufactured by AWA/STC

This collectable phone is in great, glossy condition. The bakelite is jet black and glossy and contains no chips or cracks. There is minor wear and tear evident on this phone, which is typical for its age. The bells inside this phone have been adjusted for a bright, loud ring, and the number 12 dial serviced to the PMG recommended 10 pulses per second to ensure many more years of faultless use. The dial features silver numbers on a black back ground. The handset cord is the original PMG cloth type and the 2 meter line connector cord is the modern RJ type. A converter will be supplied free of charge to use this phone with the cream plugs that are in some houses. The transmitter has been replaced with a brand new (genuine new old stock from PMG). This phone has been serviced and tested. The audio transmission is clear, and I test my phones on a Telstra line which also includes ADSL internet connection and Fax Stream Duet Service as well as on an Optus line. I am phone collector, member of the Australian Historic Telephone Society and I restore phones for some of Melbourne's most reputable radio and antique shops. I include a 3 month warranty with all my working condition phones, and in the unfortunate event of a failure (electronic or mechanical) simply return the phone to me, I will repair it, and return it to you (return at my cost if you are not local to Melbourne). Please review my feedback as I only have happy customers.
"

That return shipping for service is a killer, though . . .

Dan/Panther

Isn't this the same phone I wondered if Henry Dreyfus stole for the 302 ?  First time I saw that GPO phone, and realized that it was dated earlier, than the 302.  I believe it was  several years prior to the 302, If I recall ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

From what I've read about the GPO 300 series (or the originating British Ericsson models), they appeared somewhere between '32 and '38... :)

Matilo Telephones

The 302 by Dreyfuss was inspired by the Ericsson type 1931/DBH1001.

This phone was the basis of the GPO series 300 and has the same housing, but different handset and dial. The basic lay out inside is allso the same.

I have the told the then prince of Wales was very impressed by the Ericsson and on his incentive the model was introduced to the UK.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones