News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vas ist das?

Started by Greg G., June 12, 2009, 05:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

70s repro, or the real thing?  The sellers description is thus: In decent shape. Wall cord is cut as these were hardwired in.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Tonyrotary

Hard to tell I think just from that photo. But I don't believe they hard wired phones in the 70's. So if the seller is telling the truth, might be an original.

Dan

Those were made in Japan in the early 70's --many were hardwired;definately not WE standards, but better than todays crappy phone quality.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Can you get a picture of the bottom?  The Japanese versions usually have a paper label on the bottom (which actually say "Made in Japan"), while the originals have the phone company name (Kjobenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab) stamped into the heavy metal bottom plate.

Personally, I'd lean toward Japanese repro, because of the smooth plastic handset grip.  The originals all seem to have had grooved wooden or composition grips that were painted to match the phone.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on June 12, 2009, 01:02:30 PM
Can you get a picture of the bottom?  The Japanese versions usually have a paper label on the bottom (which actually say "Made in Japan"), while the originals have the phone company name (Kjobenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab) stamped into the heavy metal bottom plate.

Personally, I'd lean toward Japanese repro, because of the smooth plastic handset grip.  The originals all seem to have had grooved wooden or composition grips that were painted to match the phone.

He's nearby, I may take a closer look at it on Saturday, but I also e-mailed him and asked him to look for the manufacturer, so he'll probably see either the Made In Japan or the Kjobenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Kjobenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab

Easy for you to say!!
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

"Copenhagen Telephone Corporation" is much easier. ;)
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I was gonna say that!! ;)

foots

Kjobenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab - iI've seen one at an antique store only it has a black bakelite handset and green cloth cords with a brass base. The number plate sits flush with the rear of the fingerwheel and you push the plate in with your finger when you dial. There are 2 little windows with numbers in them on either side of the base.  At another antique store, there is a white phone that I thought was a repro, though it has a ribbed white handset similar to the one above and the base is also white w/gold designs on it and white hardwired cloth cords and a 4 prong connector. It appears to be French in origin. The base is all metal. The french phone is about $50 or $60 some odd bucks and the other phone is over $100. Is there anywhere to get more info on either of these?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bingster

= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

It may just be original, but until you open it, you just don't know.  But some clues:

If it is metal and has a metal base Probably original.  Plastic = definitely a fake or a late model "designer" phone.

If it is original, this style of phone was widely used in Denmark and other Scandinavian countries around that part of the world.  So, if inside, there are labels that have words that look like it came from there, it probably is the real thing.  Also, check for the kind of wiring and overall workmanship, and the type of feet the phone has as well as the cords.

Hopefully the shop keeper would either let you open it to have a look or he/she would be willing to open it themselves.

-Bill
-Bill G

mienaichizu

I also seen one here with a metal base, sells for almost a hundred bucks so I didn't buy it. Is is worth collecting?

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on June 13, 2009, 02:55:23 AM
I also seen one here with a metal base, sells for almost a hundred bucks so I didn't buy it. Is is worth collecting?

If it turns your crank or rotates your dial, it's worth collecting.  Name anything, there's a nitch of people who collect it somewhere.

As for this one, I heard back from the seller, Made In Japan.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

A picture from the inside may tell if it is orginal or not, I dont think the dial label is Danish.
dsk

Greg G.

Ha!  He changed his description and dropped the price (originally was asking $50!), no doubt due to the info I sent him. 

Noch nicht wert es:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/clt/1231352431.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )
- Mike Row
e