News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally working on Peking Red 302.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 30, 2014, 06:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I finally purchased a new handset cord, for my Peking Red 302. The cord comes from Old Phone Works, in Canada. The cord is gorgeous, and shipping was 7 days.
I removed the dial, as it's slightly slow, for cleaning. I went to The tutorial that explains how to remove the fingerwheel. It says to lift up on the small retainer at the 6/7 position.
Below are photos of my dial, it's a 5J, and there is no retainer as spoken of in the tutorial. Do I have a broken dial, or a variation of the tutorial.
There is however, a small pin hole right at the 9.0 position like you would find on later dial, mostly 500 style. The hole only goes 1/2 way through so I'm sure that's not the way this comes off.
Should I just toss the dial in the trash, and modify a Princess dial ?  :o

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Dan....check the hole like the #6, I see it in the pics..Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug, I modified my Original post to reflect the fact of the hole, but it doesn't flex when I push a clip into it. I don't want to push too hard.
D/P

Dan/Panther

I was able to get it to release by pushing from the center of the wheel, where the dial card goes. Apparently someone had tried to remove the wheel, by pushing the tab like the tutorial says. It was bent. After I took the wheel off I straightened the lever. It's like the #6 , like you pointed out Doug. Thanks.

D/P

Dan/Panther

To remove the number plate, and get to the inside for cleaning do I remove the hex nut on the center shaft ?
I think I do, but I haven't worked on this this style dial for quite some time.
D/P

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 30, 2014, 06:49:35 PM
To remove the number plate, and get to the inside for cleaning do I remove the hex nut on the center shaft ?
I think I do, but I haven't worked on this this style dial for quite some time.
D/P
yes, take the nut off.  The rest should be simple.

The dial was refurbished in 1956, apparently.  Perhaps that's why it has the pin hole type of mounting and wheel.
Which year was the phone made?

Both of my 4-53 reds have them already on 12-52 5J dials.

Looking at my data, it seems the transition from latch-type to pin-hole type 5Js occurring in 12-52.  All my dials dated before 12-52 have the latch, and all in or later than 12-52 have the pin-hole.  Something else to put into Poplar1's date charts, if it's not there yet.  12-52, btw, appears to be the last month of issuing new 5Js, 6D thereafter.

Dan/Panther

The shell is marked 1949 February. The components are dated 48 and 49.
Is it customary to take the strain relief ends off of the original cord, or just install it with the new strain reliefs ?
The reliefs are brass, and dated, The new ones are plated chrome, and plain. Ther original cord is date 1-49, 4-0, H30.
You know what, I'm changing them.

D/P

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 30, 2014, 07:09:58 PM
Is it customary to take the strain relief ends off of the original cord, or just install it with the new strain reliefs ?
The reliefs are brass, and dated, The new ones are plated chrome, and plain. Ther original cord is date 1-49, 4-0, H30.

D/P

I have one of the Peking Red OPW cords, recently acquired, too. I left them as is. I don't think it makes much difference, because the cord is new anyhow. It's hard though to take those brass clams off without destroying the conductors.   I didn't want to destroy the original cord because it was still working, just rather dirty and ugly looking. Washing didn't help much.  Taking them off  the new cords is probably easier.  I bought a couple ea. of old rose and ivory cords too.  Quite nice.

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 30, 2014, 07:09:58 PM

D/P

So your set is an early one, just after they started color production again, as announced in January 49.  They did make housings, at least in ivory, a month or so before that announcement.

Your set definitely had a different wheel originally.  Is the original date on the dial still readable? It looks over-painted, but sometimes one can still read it.

Dan/Panther

The dial is marked 5-52, painted over white, then refurbished it looks like 56L.

I changed the restraints.
The phone is in relatively nice shape, so I'm not going to do anything to the insides. I will use Novus 2 on the shell, then F21. There is aslight depression crack on the transmitter cap., that I brought back out, and applied some CA to the inside to reinforce the crack. Not a break actually, just like the phone may have been hung up hard once, and hit the transmitter cat on one of the cradle ears.

D/P

unbeldi

After the rotating latch-type wheel mount, WE made two types of pin-hole mounts for these dials. An almost triangular shaped version, used on the last batches of the 5J dials and on early 6D dials. Following that is the 5-star version on the later 6D dials.

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 30, 2014, 07:57:49 PM
The dial is marked 5-52, painted over white, then refurbished it looks like 56L.

I changed the restraints.
D/P

looks nice.   One aspect I am wondering is whether the original WECo cords in colors ever had cloth insulated leads  after the resumption of manufacturing in1949. I haven't seen them on any phone.

Dan/Panther

The original wires are rubber coated.
Here is a photo of the latch assembly after I straightened out. It was almost completely touching at #1.

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 30, 2014, 08:14:24 PM
The original wires are rubber coated.
Here is a photo of the latch assembly after I straightened out. It was almost completely touching at #1.

I recall having had a badly deformed one too.  That's probably why they changed these shortly after to the 5-star type mount on which the push action latch is formed by a half-circle, much more rigid.

Dan/Panther

Like I mentioned earlier, I paid $900.00 and change for my Peking Red 302, Recently I've felt very robbed because of the price. One I've been watching just finished. Granted it was listed as Never used,  it went for $826.00.
So I didn't get screwed too bad.

D/P