News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ocean Blue! O' the Joy!

Started by Kenton K, January 30, 2015, 01:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

That would mean it has the correct type cap for 1957.  Nice!

Dan/Panther

Yes, That is a good sign that the Body is also 57. Now lets just hope Mediterranean blue.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Mediterranian Blue is definitely my favorite 500 color, so I'm really crossing my fingers for Ken on this one!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Hi all!

Good news: Its Blue!!!

Bad news: there is a huge crack on a corner, and it is quite a bit faded.

But I'm excited and elated!

Ken

WesternElectricBen

Nice find, Kenton. Good luck with the restoration.

Ben

Kenton K

Here are some photos,

I'll have to contact the seller.

Ken

WesternElectricBen

Maybe you could combine that phone with the notched phone to make one good one. haha

Ben

Dennis Markham

Ken, do you think the phone was damaged in shipping?  Looking closely at the photo on eBay one can almost see a crack there.  He sure didn't mention it in his description.  I blew it up and lightened it a bit.  Kind of looks like the crack is visible.  Or maybe just coincidental that there is a shadow there.

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks like it was definitely cracked initially. The silouette of the housing in the listing picture shows the plastic is shifted at sharp angle, the crack was definitely there before.

Sorry, Ken! :'(

Are you going to demand a refund? Are you going to try to fix it if the seller refuses to refund the purchase?
Christian Petterson

poplar1

The handset alone must be worth at least the $21.00 selling price.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kenton K

Yah, I'll try to restore it. Hopefully, with some MEK and sanding, it shouldn't be obvious. I'll send the seller a message and see if I can get a partial refund. Well see!

Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, good luck with the crack!

Remember to use some vinyl paint for the cords. Who knows when you find originals for sale?
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

Do you think this is still a good candidate for find of the month? I was thinking about entering it.

Ken

baldopeacock

Quote from: Kenton K on February 02, 2015, 10:55:34 PM
Do you think this is still a good candidate for find of the month? I was thinking about entering it.

Ken

Why not?   That's a rock bottom price for a Med Blue.   Work some magic on that crack and the shell and handset....  Christian's vinyl dye on the handset cord...  date correct black #7 dial....   could be a fine before and after contender.

Dan/Panther

Ken;
Great find, Congratulations.
IF you plan to repair the crack, Make sure you carefully spread it a bit and clean it well. Warm water and dish soap. If not the crack will show. It can be fixed like you say with MEK, or other solvent, Superglue will work also. Maybe one of the other members has a better way to repair. But clean it first.
I would think even with the crack you got a great deal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson