News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Different NOS AE Dial

Started by Doug Rose, February 16, 2015, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was going through some of my parts when a found five AE dials that are NOS that I bought awhile back. I went to use this one and thought.....hmmmm....something is different. 11 Digit fingerwheel on a 10 digit dial. This is a NOS dial....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

AE made all kinds of special dials for various applications.
Is this a decadic dial?

How many pulses are produced by the first (blank) position?  If it's decadic, the first position may only activate the off-normal contacts without producing a dial pulse.

It's hard to tell from the picture, are the pulse contacts normally closed or open?

Doug Rose

I don't know the answer, I got these from Steve Hilsz and he said the were calibrated and tested. I used others from him and they worked fine, but did not have the 11 digit fingerwheel. I just took it out of the bag this morning for a project and noticed the fingerwheel....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Quote from: unbeldi on February 16, 2015, 11:02:55 AM
Is this a decadic dial?

How many pulses are produced by the first (blank) position?  If it's decadic, the first position may only activate the off-normal contacts without producing a dial pulse.

It's hard to tell from the picture, are the pulse contacts normally closed or open?

Where or what applications would a decadic dial be used?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

That's really strange! Would it have been used for, say, a direct connection with another phone on a business line (like dialing '0' for an Operator)?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 16, 2015, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on February 16, 2015, 11:02:55 AM
Is this a decadic dial?

Where or what applications would a decadic dial be used?
A decadic dial is the standard dial of the vast majority of pulse-dial telephones.  A decadic dialing system is a system that encodes the digits 1 to 9 and 0 into one to ten pulses, respectively.

So, when I asked whether it was a decadic dial, I was wondering whether it produced 1 to 10 pulses like a "normal" dial, or whether it produces 1 to 11 pulses,  so that 1 = two pulses, 2 = three pulses, and so on.

Such dials may be used in special exchange systems, not in the normal public switched telephone network.  Since this dial has a otherwise "normal" dial face plate, even with the OPERATOR designation on the 0 position, it seems it was indeed used for some telephone system.

Many dials in Europe actually produce 12 switching actions, but the last two are suppressed by a shunt switch on the dial so that they only generate the normal ten electrical pulses.  On some test board equipment the additional pulses are actually available.

Russ Kirk

Thanks!  you're a wealth of information!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

I sent an email to Steve Hilsz to get his thoughts. Here is a picture of a 11 digit fingerwheel AE Application....Doug
Kidphone

K1WI

Doug , It is my understanding the 11 digit finger wheels were first made , under a government contract , for Collins Radio.  I've seen antenna tuners for radio transmitters that had them in a control panel . Sure some of the AE gurus on the forum could fill in the details.
   Andy F    K1WI           (at the beach...at the SNOWY beach)
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

Doug ...more "funny" dials.... the eleven digit dial below is Western....hope files open ,  using my    .it computer/web  (Italia)
Andy F    K1WI

dsk

Doug
Could you please connect the dial to your computer microphone jack, and make some mp3 recording of some (2 of each?) 1's, zero's 5's and blanks.
It is important to know what digit is recorded so if you name the files as numbers it will be easy to analyze and find haw many pulses sent, approx speed and make brake ratio. (the 0's are probably best for this.)

Ill try to analyze them for you.

dsk

Added: 2 pictures.  (I dont have the right dial but this is a way to do it. most pc's has a microphone jack, and a sound recording software  as std. (Windows has SoundRecorder.exe)

twocvbloke

Quote from: K1WI on February 16, 2015, 01:21:36 PM
Doug ...more "funny" dials.... the eleven digit dial below is Western....hope files open ,  using my    .it computer/web  (Italia)

I wonder how the "Dial 9-11" number works on that dial, is it Nine Eleven, or Nine One One?

Dan/Panther

If you dial that blank spot, while having a conversation, would it act like a mute button ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

K1WI

All of the "extended count" dials I have the DP contacts are N.O.  so if you dial a 1 ( or the first hole) you send one pulse ,  two pulses for second hole etc.    The only markings I find are  978NI on an AE and 6LK-1c on a WECo.

Andy F    K1WI

unbeldi

Quote from: K1WI on February 16, 2015, 03:10:47 PM
All of the "extended count" dials I have the DP contacts are N.O.  so if you dial a 1 ( or the first hole) you send one pulse ,  two pulses for second hole etc.    The only markings I find are  978NI on an AE and 6LK-1c on a WECo.

I think Doug's dial here is also a N.O. dial.  It's a little hard to tell, but looking at the picture in high magnification it seems it's open.
[Looking at it again, I am not sure of that anymore... I don't see how the dial can function given the spring positioning with respect to the rotating actuator disk.  I think it has to be a normally closed DP switch.]

Many dials used on PABX systems use normally open pulse switches, they don't have to work by loop-disconnect dialing, like a normal PSTN telephone. The pulsing contact instead operate relays by closure.