News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manual Kellogg 1000 Red Bar

Started by Doug Rose, February 19, 2015, 02:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I don't think there is a cooler looking phone than the manual Red Bar. I am getting rid of my duplicates. The button could easily be wired up as a Mute button as there are two screw terminals to interupt the transmitter. This is one Deco phone. I just love bakelite....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice phone, Doug!

The manual Redbar's classy lines remind me of the NYC "20th Century Limited" Hudson, for some reason:
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

This one, avec le bouton, was a Select-O-Phone once.

Doug Rose

Karl...that was my guess as well, if I was going to keep it I would have wired the transmitter to it and see if it would mute transmission when I pressed the button....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Are the pushbutton contacts normally open or normally closed?

In K1000s, AE 40s, WE 302s opening the transmitter will disconnect an outgoing call. To mute the transmitter, you would have to short the transmitter instead of opening it.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

The push button is normally open.
When pressed, it shorts two SOP-signals through an off-normal NC dial contact. (what ever happened to the dial on this?)

One could wire it across the transmitter as a shunt, for a moment of privacy, indeed. Not a bad idea.

unbeldi

What is printed on the bottom plate of this phone?   D-1002-DA  ? perhaps a K also ==>DAK.

Doug Rose

1000 BB on bottom, never had a dial in my possession...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 19, 2015, 04:31:25 PM
1000 BB on bottom, never had a dial in my possession...Doug

That's strange.  A 1000 BB is a manual set with a biased ringer of "medium"  impedance.
The base does not belong to the housing.  Select-O-phones only had low voltage DC bells.

Perhaps the previous owner replaced a broken shell with this nice one from an essentially useless phone. SOP phones really aren't useful for anything unless connected to an SOP system.  They don't have an induction coil.

If you have a picture of the inside base, that probably confirms the situation.

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on February 19, 2015, 04:05:25 PM
The push button is normally open.
When pressed, it shorts two SOP-signals through an off-normal NC dial contact. (what ever happened to the dial on this?)

One could wire it across the transmitter as a shunt, for a moment of privacy, indeed. Not a bad idea.

Now that I look at my diagram, this is exactly what the button does anyways.
An SOP phone has separate wires for talking and listening.  Listening between S and L, and talking between C and L. When the button is pressed, the transmitter circuit to the switch is shorted between C and L, whether the phone is off-hook or not.

Dialing happens by closing S and C for each pulse, therefore the dial is the normally-open contact variety.

PS: here is my diagram:  The dial is that dashed-line rounded rectangle, with the button wired directly into the dial.