and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My AE Type 34A3A

Started by rdelius, March 12, 2015, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Had this set for years.Pulled it out of storage.Note the guts are different

unbeldi

Are there part numbers on those connecting blocks on top the capacitors?

34A3A
Is that really an official designation?

paul-f

Quote from: unbeldi on March 12, 2015, 08:44:49 PM

34A3A
Is that really an official designation?

While most of the references in the TCI Library are simply 34A3, there are references in back issues of Singing Wires to both 34A3A and 34A3B.

The 34A3A was referenced in the June 1993 SW, quoting as a source Automatic Electric Review for March, 1939.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

I am aware that the 34A3B is an established version.
It was an adaptation of the 34A3 to the Type 40, using the new handset and some updated internals.

Where do we find a copy of the Automatic Electric Review?

rdelius

Somewhere in my files is an AE ad from a 1939 Telephony or Telephone Engineering and Management that shows  this model.This was after the type 40 was introduced. the guts are the same or similar to Type 40 guts except the capacators mount differently

paul-f

Quote from: unbeldi on March 12, 2015, 09:26:12 PM

I'd guess the same place(s) we find any document that isn't in the TCI Library or elsewhere on-line -- in someone's collection or a library or a bookseller or ...

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on March 12, 2015, 10:16:26 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on March 12, 2015, 09:26:12 PM

I'd guess the same place(s) we find any document that isn't in the TCI Library or elsewhere on-line -- in someone's collection or a library or a bookseller or ...

I was hoping you could be more optimistic.  ;D

stub

rdelius,
           I have it stored in my computer as a AE 34 A 11 . Don't remember right off hand where I found that information .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

The type 34A3 telephone utilized the earlier Monophone handset while the 34A3B used a housing molded specifically for the type-41 handset. As shown below, some of the other changes included the use of black cords, etc. Apparently the 34A3 was occasionally referred to as a 34A3A after the subsequent introduction of the "B" version to avoid confusion when comparing the two.
    Because of its popularity with both the operating
man and the telephone subscriber, many companies in
recent years have standardized on the Type 34A3
Monophone for all installations where a self-contained
desk-type instrument can be used. For such companies,
we now offer a new instrument combining the basic
design features of the Type 34A3 Monophone with
the improvements provided in the new Type 41 Mono-
phone handset. The base of the Type 34A3B Mono-
phone is identical with that of the Type 34A3, except
that the base molding is especially shaped lo accommo-
date the Type 41 handset, Thus, the telephone com-
pany retains the advantages of standardization in
circuit and in most of the major components; the use
of the new handset results, however, in marked im-
provement in transmission quality and volume, and
provides better comfort and "feel" in use.
The Type 41 Monophone handset is molded of black
plastic with receiver conductors molded in, and a
large area in the cross-section of the handle for added
strength. Transmitter and receiver are of the ''capsule''
type, inserted by merely slipping them into place, and
readily removable without opening wire connections.

Other New Features

The modernization of the Type 34A3 Monophone
has been completed by the use of the new and excep-
tionally compact Type 11 and 12 Connecting Blocks
used with the Type 40 Monophone, and black cords,
instead of the brown cords formerly used. In most
other respects, Type 34A3B is identical with the Type
34A3 Monophone. The circuit is the famous anti-side-
tone circuit which has been standard in central-battery
Monophones for many years. For operating organiza-
tions which have standardized on this circuit, and wish
to continue its use, the Type 34A3B Monophone will
prove exceptionally satisfactory.

paul-f

Quote from: G-Man on March 12, 2015, 11:39:06 PM
The type 34A3 telephone utilized the earlier Monophone handset while the 34A3B used a housing molded specifically for the type-41 handset. As shown below, some of the other changes included the use of black cords, etc. Apparently the 34A3 was occasionally referred to as a 34A3A after the subsequent introduction of the "B" version to avoid confusion when comparing the two.

The text below this quote in the post above seem to come from AE Catalog 4055-C, page 16 and applies only to the 34A3B. Correct?

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3861-ae-34a3b-desk-monophone

Do you have any documentation to support your conclusion about the 34A3A?

The referenced Singing Wires article clearly references the 34A3A as the "easy lift" variant -- presumably different from the 34A3 (no hand grip) and consistent with Robby's photos above (with hand grip).  It would be better to have a full catalog description of the 34A3A for reference.

BTW, the article (in Singing Wires, June 1993) also has a lot of great info about the new AE40's features and manufacturing processes and states that the 34 stayed in production after the 40 was available.  It's an interesting read.

WEBellSystemChristian

I need to find me an AE34 someday. They're the most beautiful and classy phones ever! :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on March 13, 2015, 12:13:49 PM

The text below this quote in the post above seem to come from AE Catalog 4055-C, page 16 and applies only to the 34A3B. Correct?

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3861-ae-34a3b-desk-monophone

The referenced Singing Wires article clearly references the 34A3A as the "easy lift" variant -- presumably different from the 34A3 (no hand grip) and consistent with Robby's photos above (with hand grip).  It would be better to have a full catalog description of the 34A3A for reference.

BTW, the article (in Singing Wires, June 1993) also has a lot of great info about the new AE40's features and manufacturing processes and states that the 34 stayed in production after the 40 was available.  It's an interesting read.

So it appears the TCI article is actually a reprint from the AE Review.  Good, because that removes the typical problem of author interpretation of sources.

wds

Could you take measurements of the handset cradle area to see if it is different from the older 34?  Height of the posts, and distance between them. 
Dave

G-Man

Your suspicions are quite plausible; however, since the author of the Singing Wires article failed to provide direct quotes from his source material, could someone contact him to request a scan of the A.E. Review that he cited to reconcile the differences in the previously quoted Automatic Electric description? I would be nice to include it in the TCI Library for future general reference.

Thanks!

Quote from: paul-f on March 13, 2015, 12:13:49 PM
The type 34A3 telephone utilized the earlier Monophone handset while the 34A3B used a housing molded specifically for the type-41 handset. As shown below, some of the other changes included the use of black cords, etc. Apparently the 34A3 was occasionally referred to as a 34A3A after the subsequent introduction of the “B” version to avoid confusion when comparing the two.

paul-f

Quote from: G-Man on March 13, 2015, 01:52:45 PM
...to reconcile the differences in the previously quoted Automatic Electric description?

First, what differences?  The two do not seem inconsistent to me.

There was no author given, so the source document may be elusive.  As Karl suggested, the article appears to be taken directly from the source document, and most likely includes all the article text and photos.  I'd guess the article was OCRed to harvest the text (there are a few small OCR-like errors) and the photos were inserted where convenient in the issue layout.

While it would be academically better to have a direct scan of the source document, I doubt we'd learn anything new if we had one.

If someone has a library of Automatic Electric Review issues and would care to scan them or loan them for scanning for the Library, that would be wonderful !!!

As stated previously, a catalog reference for the 34A3A would also be great to have.