News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

British Version of the ATC Candlestick.

Started by ThePillenwerfer, August 25, 2017, 10:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePillenwerfer

This is a 'phone I've recently been doing-up.  My understanding is that the cases were imported from ATC and then British working parts were fitted when they got here.  This one certainly has a British dial, circuitboard and receiver insert but has got an American transmitter.  The marks underneath indicate that it was made by A P Besson Ltd in 1984.

twocvbloke

Looking at the rim f the transmitter, I can just barely see "FACE STANDARD", which if memory serves was the Italian branch of ITT, who made 500 and Princess clones for the Italian market...

LarryInMichigan

The ATC phone housings have multiple screw holes, ringer loudness control openings, and mounting posts to accommodate a variety of internal parts, so I wouldn't be surprised to find them with WE, AE, and various European components inside.

Larry

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 25, 2017, 10:46:13 AM
Looking at the rim f the transmitter, I can just barely see "FACE STANDARD", which if memory serves was the Italian branch of ITT, who made 500 and Princess clones for the Italian market...
That's right.  Pronounced "Fah-Che" (the "e" as in "egg"), not like the English word "face".

TelePlay

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 25, 2017, 12:04:38 PM
That's right.  Pronounced "Fah-Che" (the "e" as in "egg"), not like the English word "face".

ThePillenwerfer, I'd bet that's something you didn't know and will be of use to you in the future.

paul-f

When I saw this topic, I expected to see this ATC phone.   ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on August 25, 2017, 12:14:55 PM
ThePillenwerfer, I'd bet that's something you didn't know and will be of use to you in the future.
Useful or not, since many of the companies which sprang from International Western Electric contained the word "Standard" and the formal name of the Italian company was "Face Standard" it has the appearance of consisting of two English words, so people have asked what "Face Standard" means.  That's why it may be of interest to know that it's not pronounced that way.  Some people care about correct pronunciation of foreign words.

Owain

It's known here as the STC Candlestick

http://www.britishtelephones.com/tsr1005.htm

A P Besson and Partner Limited started in 1957 manufacturing earpieces for the National Health Service. They made electronic transmitters and receivers, telephone sounders, fire alarm sounders,  etc and also made some of  BT's "Decorator Range" in the 1980s from UK inners and foreign cases

http://www.britishtelephones.com/tsr8027.htm

Current telecoms products:

http://hbl.co.uk/our-products/telecoms/

ThePillenwerfer

The text around the transmitter edge in full is:—

8402 FACE STANDARD 9034 BET

I had wondered if FACE in this context was some sort of standards body so am pleased to have that explained.

With the American body, Italian transmitter and other British bits it's like the League of Nations in telephone form.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: ThePillenwerfer on August 25, 2017, 01:50:25 PM
The text around the transmitter edge in full is:—

8402 FACE STANDARD 9034 BET

I had wondered if FACE in this context was some sort of standards body so am pleased to have that explained.

With the American body, Italian transmitter and other British bits it's like the League of Nations in telephone form.
Other ITT companies:

Belgium:   BTM - Bell Telephone Manufacturing
Germany: SEL - Standard Electric Lorenz
Britain:     STC - Standard Telephones & Cables
Spain:      SESA - Standard Eléctrica S.A. (IIRC, S.A. is equivalent to "Corporation" or "Limited")
France:    LMT & CGCT - Le Material Telephonique & (IIRC) Companie Generale Communications & Telephonique
Italy:        Face Standard - To the best of my recollection no one I asked was able to explain the origins of "Face" but I believe it is not an acronym.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 25, 2017, 12:04:38 PM

Makes me wonder how they pronounce the brand name F.A.R.T. with regard to electrical products such as the neon transformer in this bigclivedotcom video:

https://youtu.be/3E12nnpWc5c?t=5m58s

:o

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 25, 2017, 07:19:01 PM
Makes me wonder how they pronounce the brand name F.A.R.T. with regard to electrical products such as the neon transformer in this bigclivedotcom video:

https://youtu.be/3E12nnpWc5c?t=5m58s

:o
He explains the origins of F.A.R.T approx. 7:30 into the video.  And that explanation certainly suggests that Face could be an acronym too, but googling around, a 1970s article in the NY Times showed up in which they spell it "Face" (mixed case, no periods after each letter), suggesting it is not an acronym.

Victor Laszlo

In case you ever encounter a beautiful Italian girl and want to compliment her, just look her in the eye and say "faccia belle" (pronounced fah'-chieh bell'-uh) and she will melt in your arms. Maybe.

Not so sure that face (English) is face (Italian.)

-----------------

Google Translate of "faccia belle":   "Beautiful face"

Owain

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on August 25, 2017, 09:11:54 PM
In case you ever encounter a beautiful Italian girl and want to compliment her, just look her in the eye and say "faccia belle" (pronounced fah'-chieh bell'-uh) and she will melt in your arms. Maybe.

To which she will reply "Tre fratelli più anziani della mafia"

------------------------

Google Translate of "Tre fratelli più anziani della mafia":  "Three older brothers of the mafia"