News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lighted Telephone Sign

Started by ....., September 18, 2018, 09:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This past weekend I bought a few things from an ex-Bell employee. It was a buy it all deal, couldn't just pick what I wanted.
One of the pieces was a lighted telephone sign. I had to give it a good cleaning as it was covered in nicotine.
The fellow I got everything from said that everything had been in his garage since the late 1970's.
I hung it last night.  :)

Doug Rose

Doug....you are on a roll my friend.  Sign is great!  How about some pics of the payphone?  Looks like a real nice find....other Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Nice pick. And it cleaned up well. Don't you hate cleaning nicotine coated stuff... Yuck.
KEN

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 18, 2018, 10:10:13 PM
Doug....you are on a roll my friend.  Sign is great!  How about some pics of the payphone?  Looks like a real nice find....other Doug

Thanks Doug,

This 1971 NE 233 payphone is a little bit of a lemon as well. All the dates match, but missing the vault door and upper lock. I took the backboard and subset off. I had an extra coin box and put on a latch lock on just to hold the top on until I get a proper lock. I'll leave as is for now. As soon as I get all the parts I need, it will be game on. I might even paint it yellow....Not! LOL :)

CDN Doug

poplar1

Since he worked for Bell, he probably knew better than to have locks and keys lying around. I recall a guy from Montreal telling me how tight the control was on the 21B upper housing keys.

I would lose the Ron Knappen instruction card on the front, but that's just my opinion.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Quote from: poplar1 on September 19, 2018, 01:22:57 AM
I would lose the Ron Knappen instruction card on the front, but that's just my opinion.

It was the only card I had, so I just threw it in there until I get one made up.  ;)