News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 in Dawn Gray - The last color needed for my collection

Started by JorgeAmely, March 08, 2010, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Here are some pictures of an AE80 in Dawn Gray color. This is the last color I needed to complete my collection of desk sets. It is so badly faded, that unless you look at the back side of the handset, you don't realize that it was originally light gray to start with.

What do you guys think: peroxide, bleach, Easy-Off, elbow grease or leave as is?

Jorge

McHeath

Holy discoloration Batman!!  Never seen the like, it's the most yellowed phone I know.

AE_Collector

I've seen one that bad before. Good pictures Jorge! Be sure to post some pictures "in progress"!
Terry

Phonesrfun

Terry:

You snuck in the back door while nobody was looking!

Welcome to the forum!  Great to have you here.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Terry:

Welcome to the forum. Snap some pictures of your collection for the rest of us to see. There are many AE fans in this forum.
Jorge

AET

Did this sit in a heavy smoking area?
- Tom

jsowers

Jorge, I'd try bleach/water in the California sun. I've had bleach work fairly well on very faded light gray hard plastic, but it was a WE. I've never bleached an AE to know how well it would work.

This is sun fade on yours. You can tell because it didn't fade where the sun didn't shine. With smoke, it fades evenly all over because smoke penetrates. Good luck and please do let us know the progress. Also, congratulations on so quickly getting the last piece in your AE80 collection. I hope Dawn Gray sees the dawn in its original state again.
Jonathan

finlover

This is definitely a candidate for peroxide gel, amigo.  You probably already know the recipe but here goes.  I use 20 volume peroxide which is strong enough to do the trick but won't cause the whitish "blushing" to appear.  In a blender add 1 cup peroxide with two teaspoons xanthan gum (available at a health food store), and 1 teaspoon glycerine.  Blend for 5 seconds, let it rest for 5 seconds, then blend another 5 seconds.

Brush it on then let it sit in the sun several hours.  The gel stops working when it dries, so you might want to put a large inverted glass bowl over it, or maybe put plastic wrap over it.  If you're hardcore like me, buy a fish tank and a bright UV aquarium light intended for coral.  Put mirrored adhesive mylar on the sides (they'll have it at the fish store).  That way you can "cook" it rain or shine, night or day.  That's my little helpful hint for the day. :)

Craig T

:o That is gonna be a tough cookie to crack. As long as it did not go all the way through, I would think you could still sand that phone too.

Be sure to switch arms every now and again otherwise you may end up with one large arm and one smaller arm!

Knowing you this is gonna turn out awesome, can't wait to see the final  8)

Dan/Panther

Terry;
Welcome to our world. Yes post a few photos.

Greg;
The formula you posted is quite different from what we've used before. Can you get glycerin at beauty supply store ?
Will this work on soft and hard plastic, what are the precautions, if any?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

Yeah, this is my own little variation.  I found glycerin at Walgreen's.  The color pink tends to "blush" more easily than other colors so monitor it.  Peroxide will burn your skin after a few seconds, so be careful.  And for heaven's sake don't use nitro glycerine! ;D

JorgeAmely

Greg:

The toughest part is going to be the logo. As you may have seen in the pictures above, the sun burned right across the middle of the logo. Have you compared bleach versus your formula? Have you done this in a housing of similar color?
Jorge

finlover

Jorge,

I've used the gel successfully on WE light gray, but of course it wasn't as severe as this.  I would test it on another area before applying it to the logo, just in case it blushes.  Worst case, you could always mask and spray paint the logo.  I bet you could find a car model paint at a hobby store that's pretty close.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

finlover

A beauty supply store will have it.  The hydrogen peroxide you find at the drugstore is too weak for this application.