News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Grab a phone w/North Dial

Started by Doug Rose, May 03, 2010, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is a Kellogg Grab a Phone with a North dial that I found on eBay a month ago. It was definitely a fixer upper. I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out. All original paint with a lot of elbow grease to make it shine. The original braided handset cord that was underneath stayed in great shape. The bakelite hand grab was broken and missing some of the bakelite, so I sanded it down on the edges. The metal appears to be a nickel-ed brass. Nickel has held up well over the years. All in all, I was very happy to find one of the tough to find dial phones from the mid to late 20's. ....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Craig T

That is a beauty Doug! You did an excellent job fixing it up too. That is one of my new favorites there  8)

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Nice job, nice phone, I have the wooden wall version of the Grab a phone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Doug.  I'll have to pick your brain sometime on how to remove that finger wheel and dial retainer card for cleaning.  I have one of those North dials.  I was under the impression that it was rather difficult.

JorgeAmely

Doug:

Excellent recovery! I am impressed at how nice the nickel plated parts look like now. I guess they have a satin finish unlike chrome, which seems to be always shiny.

Jorge

AET

Wow, that baby sure cleaned up nicely.  You do fine work.
- Tom

HobieSport

It's beautiful, Doug.
I can see why they called it a "Grab a Phone".
Because I want to grab it. ;D
-Matt
-Matt

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 03, 2010, 09:54:42 PM
Doug;
Nice job, nice phone, I have the wooden wall version of the Grab a phone.
D/P

Dan....post a picture, I don't think I've ever seen one.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 03, 2010, 10:00:02 PM
Beautiful phone, Doug.  I'll have to pick your brain sometime on how to remove that finger wheel and dial retainer card for cleaning.  I have one of those North dials.  I was under the impression that it was rather difficult.
Dennis....I don't have a clue!!! I couldn't get the retainer ring off and couldn't see how the finger wheel released. I cleaned it with out taking it apart. It was extremely frustrating and I quit before I damaged it.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Here it is..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Doug:

I know the feeling. It is always better to quit when you are ahead.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 04, 2010, 03:03:58 PM
Doug;
Here it is..
D/P
Dan....that is a beauty and in really fine condition. Great phone....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 04, 2010, 03:05:10 PM
Doug:

I know the feeling. It is always better to quit when you are ahead.
There are so many times I just wished I had stopped and walked away. Once you get past that point and you cannot go back, maybe a tad of knowledge from years of experience? .......Nah.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Well, however you did it, it sure turned out nice!