News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Replacement 5302

Started by Dan/Panther, November 06, 2008, 06:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

When I first started collecting phones, I purchased a 5302, not realizing the F1-W was a non "Bell System" phone.
So today My replacement 5302 arrived, fully matching numbers and F-1 handset, both body of the phone and handset say "Bell System". It's in very good condition.
What I found interesting was the dial card in the phone.
I don't know if it is THE West Point they are referring to, but I would like to think it is.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

According to the telephone exchange name directory, there was a HIghland Falls exchange located in the town of Highland Falls, New York. In fact, this is the only HIghland Falls exchange listed(although that doesn't mean there weren't others).

Furthermore, Google Maps shows the town of Highland Falls as being located very close to the West Point Military Academy. Based on this, I'd say it's very likely that it is THE West Point.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=highland+falls,+ny&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Dennis Markham

Ben,
Great minds think alike.  I read Dan's posting and didn't scroll down to see yours.  Then I searched the database for the exchange and did a Google Maps search and found the same result.  Then I went back to the posting and saw you already did all that.  Guess I should have read your post first.  I concur, in my mind that is a legit dial card from HIghland Falls, NY.  That was a nice pick-up Dan!

Dan/Panther

Thanks form the link, zooming in, I see street names like Pershing, Patton, etc., funny though, I don't see a Custer Ave. Maybe they have something to hide there ?
I agree much too close to be other than THE West point.
The numbers don't show up but they are 2527.
What is even more bizzare, the phone number is HI- 6- 2527.
When I was growing up our home phone number was le-HI-gh 9 (upside down 6) 2527.
Needless to say, that dial card is going no place, except exactly where it is. In fact I'm not even going to take it out unless absolutely necessary.

I called both numbers, the 2711 West Point number is no longer in service It was retired with Dwight Eisenhower, (Just kidding), and the phones number was busy.

D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan that phone was destined for you.  Funny how that works.  You know sometimes, I have taken a card out only to find another card underneath.  That's what I call a "bonus card".  Usually that happens when somewhere down the road the customer got a new card with an area code attached where previously there had been none (area code).  Someone, probably the service person just left the old card underneath and put a new car atop.  That's always fun when getting a "new" phone.

Dan/Panther

For some reason, and maybe just my age, but when I think of West Point, the 50's pops into my mind. I don't know why, maybe because I became aware at about that time, right after WWII, Korea, Dwight Eisenhower etc.

D/P

benhutcherson

I've also bought phones which had a plain white hand written card, or sometimes a rubber-stamped plain white card. Upon removing the card, I have found an original named-exchange card on the other side.

My most recent 5302, which came last week, was like this. Ironically enough, the exchange name on it was "HIghland," and it also came out of New York(there was a HIghland exchange in New York). There were also two HIghland exchanges in Kentucky, though-one in Louisville and one in the Northern Kentucky(Cincinnatti area), so it's a very appropriate card to have around here, too.

Dan

Do you guys see more 5302's with F 1  handsets or G 1 handsets? Which are more desirable, in your opinion? I have a 5302 with  an F1.

Also how long were the 5302's made? I know the housing is different from the 500. My housing on my 5302 dates to 1959 which seems really late to me. The "innards" all date to 1949 otherwise.
Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

I think sometime ago on this forum the word was that 5302s were made into the mid 60s.  Is that correct? 

Dennis Markham

From Paul Fassbender's Site:

The 5302's were produced from August, 1955 - ?
Shells from the mid-60s have been found, but may have been made as repair parts.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5300

Dennis