News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric #1 Uni Phone

Started by Doug Rose, August 05, 2010, 08:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Yes the fat 302, what is up with collectors not liking this great phone. I see them on eBay all the time and they never get a look. Its lookalike North Galion seems to have no problem selling. The Northern #1 are a very interesting design, long and made of bakelite. I have seen a few lately (one I'm selling as well) and they are always passed by. Is it me. or is this really an underrated phone. Just my thoughts.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have two Uniphones, one with an NE #5 dial, and the other with a British GPO dial.  They are really big and rather clunky looking.  They sort of remind of Canada: very large and mostly empty.  The North Galion is considerably smaller and more elegant.

Larry

paul-f

The supply may currently be above the demand, but I know a lot of collectors who really like them.  Perhaps most of us who like them already have our fill and newer collectors haven't discovered them yet.

The NE1 with NU handset and BPO dial was one of the first phones I bought at a phone show (years ago now).  I can remember Canadian collectors bringing literally dozens of them to shows in Hartford and selling out in a few hours. 

I'm especially fond of the brown bakelite housings.  The mechanical hinge on the wall set is quite interesting as well.

http://www.paul-f.com/neUNI.html

I'd like to see one of the early ones with the early Northern dial, as shown in the catalog cut.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

I have one of the wall phone versions that is in the mahogany colored bakelite. It had lots of paint spattered on it so I used oven cleaner to remove it. Unfortunately the oven cleaner also removed a lot of the shine along with the paint so it is now blotchy.

Any ideas out there as to what to do or have I ruined it?

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry....have you tried Howard's Restore a finish liquid wax? Its for wood, but it goes deep into the porous bakelite. I have used it on bakelite with really nice results. Dull bakelite shines when this is applied...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kidphone on August 05, 2010, 01:32:29 PM
Terry....have you tried Howard's Restore a finish liquid wax? Its for wood, but it goes deep into the porous bakelite. I have used it on bakelite with really nice results. Dull bakelite shines when this is applied...Doug

I'll check that out. Thanks Doug...

Terry

bingster

I've always liked these, personally.  I find them quite striking, especially the No. 2, with it's curved dial housing and chamfered cradle arms.  Both feel more masculine than the curvaceous North sets, too.  I'd like to have seen Bell put out a wall phone with a cross-wise handset like the No. 2, and never understood why they didn't give that a try, especially since they didn't have a handset wall phone for such a long time, and there was a perfect template staring them in the face.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Anyone have any idea why Northern went from the NU to the F1 handset. Was it conformity with WE? This would be surprising as they had the #1 and the #2 that WE never made? Any idea how long the NU was made, it couldn't have been very long as they are a tough find.....Doug
Kidphone