News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 handset question

Started by bingster, November 25, 2008, 12:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Does anybody know what the number stamped on a seamless receiver cap is?  The grooved cap is stamped "WESTERN ELECTRIC    MADE IN USA    557B" in a circle around the holes.  Keep in mind that seamless handles often have grooved caps, so I need the number on a cap with no grooves.  Any ideas?
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Sorry Bingster.  I do have a couple of seamless E1's but they both appear to have a grooved cap.  The oldest (II 37) is on a 202 that was painted ivory.  The handset is actually brown Bakelite that was painted (factory).  The only number on the cap is on the inside and that number is 141.  However inside the receiver piece, on the metal is stamped 557B.

deedubya3800

Sorry for taking almost three years to answer, but I have a seamless receiver cap, and it says:

PROPERTY OF AMERICAN TEL & TEL CO    557

The handle is dated 10 34. I can't tell the date of the cap because nothing I've tried will get the receiver element out of it.

rp2813

"I can't tell the date of the cap because nothing I've tried will get the receiver element out of it."

I had the same problem with my receiver cap.  I bought a strap wrench and had no luck.  Some time later I remembered when I was in a thrift store to pick up a blow dryer.  Cranked it up to high heat and went all around the cap for about a minute or two, got the strap wrench on it and the cap came right off with surprisingly little effort.

Your situation may be different depending on where your handset has been during the past 80 or so years, but keep at it with heat and a strap wrench and it may eventually budge for you.

BTW, my seamless cap says nothing other than 557 inside.

Ralph

bingster

Quote from: deedubya3800 on July 19, 2011, 03:18:14 AM
Sorry for taking almost three years to answer, but I have a seamless receiver cap, and it says:

PROPERTY OF AMERICAN TEL & TEL CO    557

The handle is dated 10 34. I can't tell the date of the cap because nothing I've tried will get the receiver element out of it.

Better late than never, DW!  Thanks for the information.  I suppose I should have guessed at 557--it makes perfect sense.   
= DARRIN =