News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can Anyone Identify This Dial - WE 2A - More Pictures Posted

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 18, 2010, 09:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I am contemplating buying this dial, but I would like to know what it is first.  To my ignorant eyes, it looks like a #2 mounted for some sort of switchboard.  Can anyone help identify it?

Thank You

Larry

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

McHeath

It's a rotary phone dial.

See how helpful I am. ::) ::)

As I know only that it's a very early dial I will pass to the experts.

Adam

That picture also makes it look like it would make a wicked door knob.

Sorry, I'm no help either.   :)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

The dial is mounted to a standard dial cup, which was used for the C-mount, but I've never seen that second mount. I'd vote against  switchboard use, though, as it's not very ergonomic.

Personally, I'd buy it just because it's so odd.
= DARRIN =

JimH

Are there any markings on the finger-stop, i.e. "2HB", etc.  It also looks like a nice notchless dial plate, too.  I know most of the #2 dials had the dial card rings that were not painted, also.  Nice find!
Jim H.

LarryInMichigan

There do not appear to be any markings on the finger stop, but the second phone here: http://www.phonemandave.net/westernelectric3.htm has a dial wit no markings on its finger wheel.  I paid for the dial ($40 with shipping) this morning, so I should be able to see in a week or so what it really is.  If it is a #2, I expect that it will be worth more than I paid.  I want to use the dial on my WE 50AL which came with a dial blank.

Larry

Wallphone

paul-f

Quote from: Wallphone on September 19, 2010, 01:56:17 PM
I don't see the 33A mount anywhere in the attached document. It must be old.
> http://www.telephonecollectors.org/DocumentLibrary/BSPs/C_Series/C34.301-i10-Dial-Mountings-and-Dial-Adaptors%20.pdf <
Dougpav

It's in an earlier issue with a description as follows:

33A -- Consists of 30A dial mounting and a black finished base to permit mounting on walls at subscriber stations.

30A -- Black finished metal mounting for use with 52 type dial adapter and a 2 or 4 type dial on residence system sets. (Includes .112-36 screws  one--11/32" long, two--3/16" long.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bingster

Quote from: paul-f on September 19, 2010, 02:13:00 PM
33A -- Consists of 30A dial mounting and a black finished base to permit mounting on walls at subscriber stations.

Given that description, I wonder that it might be that when a town made the switch to dial service, these could be added to manual phone setups when the local phone company didn't have enough stock to replace all their manual phones.
= DARRIN =

Wallphone

Paul, Where did you find the older document? It took me a half hour to find the first one, and that was after coming across it just last week.
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

Since I was only really interested in the dial for my 50AL, I might be persuaded to part with the mounting.  If there are any relevant BSPs, and I decide to list the mounting on ebay, they would be useful.  I have no idea what the mounting might be worth without the dial.

Larry

paul-f

The BSP is on John Novak's CD of early BSPs.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Wallphone

Thanks Paul, I forgot that I have the CD. That document is from 1934.
Dougpav

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 18, 2010, 09:37:37 PM
I am contemplating buying this dial, but I would like to know what it is first.  To my ignorant eyes, it looks like a #2 mounted for some sort of switchboard.  Can anyone help identify it?

Thank You

Larry

Larry...if the dial plate is un-notched it is worth the $40 all by itself in that great condition....What a find!!!....Doug
Kidphone