News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2554 or similar

Started by Netdewt, February 11, 2012, 06:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

What's a fair deal for a 2554? What are other options? I was looking a while back and I thought they were relatively inexpensive, but I just checked eBay and they're like $75. We need one touch tone phone in our house, and I'm tired of the crappy one we have.

twocvbloke

I guess it depends on what 2554 you're after, I've seen cortelco 2554s on ebay for hardly anything, which is why I got a red one (just waiting for my friend in the US to get the shipping cost for that & parts for other stuff), that one was $29.95, other colours tend to be cheaper, for some reason red phones fetch more $£€... :D

I don't know about original Western Electric 2554s though... :-\

Netdewt

Oh there we go. I was searching "western electric 2554" just now. There some company selling off brand ones for $30 on eBay.

McHeath

A newish Cortelco one can be had for 15 dollars and up, or so, with the occasional deal that's lower.

A WE one, say modular and from the late 70's to 80's, I would not pay more than 20 for, unless it was a nice unusual color. 

Netdewt

Maybe I need to look at local thrift stores. Someone needs to send these guys a memo.

http://tinyurl.com/7fb2hrd

twocvbloke

Ebay's full of chancers, they see something selling for a high price (usually something rare or unusual), and then they think that their common and bog-standard item must be worth the same, so they try and get as much as possible for it, and usually are surprised when they keep relisting it that nobody seems interested... :D

In the end, they pay more than the items are worth with the fees for relisting, because they're too stubborn to admit they're wrong, even when experts contact them to advise (for free no less!!) that they drop their prices to get a sale... :)

Netdewt

Just bought an ITT 2554 on the 'bay for $17 shipped. Not so bad. The seller has tons of them, apparently. Woohoo!

twocvbloke

Sounds good, what colour did you get? :)

I'm just awaiting the ransom note from the HMRC for my Cortelco 2554 (what ITT's phone section later became when they broke up), can't wait to get it, even if it is a modernised version of the original WE2554, but it'll be a working phone in the kitchen, cos I want a kitchen phone, a bright red phone (I think that's how the song goes!! :D ), and it has a bell, rather than a tone ringer... ;D

Netdewt

Black... I like black phones.  :) I wouldn't mind a teal 500, but my wife isn't a big fan, and I'd rather use my phones rather than collect and hide them.

Yes, that is why I want a 2554! Still useful as a tone phone when needed, but has a real bell and doesn't look like a piece of dollar store  garbage.

twocvbloke

hehe, yeah, I'm feeling a strong dislike for cheap modern phones now, we used to have an Audioline phone in the old kitchen, but it stopped working properly, and I cracked it open and just saw cheap rubbish inside (the part that failed had actually burnt out!!! :o ), since then, I'd rather have vintage phones & well-proven phones than cheap plastic poo from the bargain section of a discount store... :D

Vern P

Found a box of 2554 that I didn't remember/know I had, the other day.

I didn't look at them real close, but I am thinking there is Ivory, Beige, Black, Lt. Bluse, maybe Red, Green, Lime Green and Orange.  I think most would be WE, I am sure thare are some ITT and others too. Most looked to be mod. 

I will sell these at $10 for the Ivory and Beige and up to $40 for some of the other colors.

Let me know if I need to dig thur them, Other wise, back to the shelf with them.

Yes I have TO MUCH stuff (junk) around here.  Just ask Bill G., he has been here drooling all over the place. :<)

Vern P

Netdewt

I might be interested in a blue, red, or green one, but I'm pretty cheap... depends on price. :)

Netdewt

Got the phone! Very nice, except the cord is pretty trash. What's that site you can buy cloth covered cords and stuff?

twocvbloke

I've not looked in depth on the site, but this may help:

www.oldphoneworks.com

:)