News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mahogany Brown North

Started by Doug Rose, June 08, 2013, 02:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is one of Janet's phones. I was going to sell it as is. I thought it was a Maroon North. Bad weather got the better of me and I decided to play. As Ray say a few months ago, he has found many Mahogany Browns under black paint. He was right. They even painted it with the WE 5J installed. I got the paint off the dial and saved the white. I must have taken 50 pictures, they all look black. This is super high flash in the sun and brighten after. Looks much better than this, but her it is!!...Doug
Kidphone

Gilas

Beautiful phone. Congrats again

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE40FAN

Very nice Doug! Is this the same phone shown with the original lot of phones Janet found?

Doug Rose

It is, if it wasn't for a rainy Saturday morning I never would have known. Pictures don't do this beauty justice. it is a keeper.....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 09, 2013, 07:38:25 AM
It is, if it wasn't for a rainy Saturday morning I never would have known. Pictures don't do this beauty justice. it is a keeper.....Doug

I can't believe how fast you got the paint stripped off that and got it all cleaned up!

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE40FAN on June 09, 2013, 10:18:35 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on June 09, 2013, 07:38:25 AM

I can't believe how fast you got the paint stripped off that and got it all cleaned up!
These are bakelite, so you can use stripper and steel wool. I tested with the stripper inside, just to be sure. After .5 hour I was good to go.  I took about 1.5 hour from taking the phone apart to having the finished phone.

I had to put on a different handset cord and install a North Ringer as this did not have one, the wires cut and hanging there. The paint just bubbled right off, even by the grill. When you put this under a lamp it looks amazing. I almost didn't try as I was "sure" it was a Maroon North.

As my hero, Bugs Bunny always said, "what a maroon!" That be me.

Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

What would make a difference if it were maroon or not?  Is maroon a different type of plastic or just not as valuable?

Doug Rose

No difference, both bakelite. I was just making sure the Mahogany was bakelite. That would be an awful thing, seeing a prize phone melt. I did it once with a Conn Handset. I thought it was bakelite, it wasn't!
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Did anyone watch this auction?

Mine didn't have the bakelite fingerwheel on a North dial, but it makes me smile.....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330935706090
Kidphone

Claven2

Hmm... I was watching it and thought it WAS yours!?

Doug Rose

I am keeping mine. Jeff does a wonderful job on his refurbs. I am trying to get him to vist us on the Forum....Doug
Kidphone